• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ripped Off What Do I Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

I bought an amplifier from an online retailer who has been very shady. I filed the RMA as instructed via the merchants website but never got a response I followed up with another email and still got no response. The lady I spoke with was very rude and told me another email would be sent and again I got nothing (checked junk mail as well)

I paid via Paypal but it is not covered because it was not bought via Ebay (only covered if I never received the item). What do I do? Someone reccomended the Department of Justice in California?

File a complaint with your state's Attny General, find the equivalent of my state's page for your state: http://www.ksag.org/content/page/id/116

Never, ever, shop by best price alone, shop by best price + something like http://www.resellerratings.com/ which you need to check not for positives but if there's a pattern of negative comments about the store... and if the store isn't even on there, I wouldn't roll the dice with it.

First, collect all your documentation. If you haven't yet, keep records of dates, names and even times of contact.

Next send them a "certified return reciept requested" letter that asks them to respond within a certain timeline.

In the letter include sentences like "I have been advised to keep records of all transactions and communication from this point forward." If you aren't great at writing, find someone who is, and can write very formally.

You will give the impression that you are preparing to sue them and are already talking to an attorney. If they are a 2 bit scammer, they won't care. But if they are simply unscrupulous businessmen/women, they may refund your money just to make you go away.

So the letter may look like this:

"Dear Sir or Madam;

On (enter date) I purchased (enter item). The item arrived in defective condition. I have followed the RMA procedure outlined by (insert name of person) and sent emails on (enter dates). Thus far, all communication from me has been illegally ignored by your company.

I have been advised from this point forward to document all communication with you in a legally verifiable manner to resolve this issue.

You are formally requested to provide accurate RMA instructions, to replace the defective merchandise or refund as necessary within 30 days of reciept of this letter. Failure to do so could result in claims of further damages, including punative damages if it is perceived your company is acting in bad faith.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I wish to resolve this without further legal involvement, and insist you immediately address the defective merchandise sent by your company.

Sincerely, etc. "

Send the letter typed, on high quality paper, with a printed envelope.

Believe it or not, most companies I've done this to immediately respond and take care of the issue. If they don't, you're likely dealing with scammers that don't care, and you might as well look at trying to prosecute if possible.

As mentioned by BenF, contact BBB and make a report ASAP. Also c627627 suggestion.

Good Luck, and dont' forget to update us WITH NAMES. :)

Last edited:
The company is millionbuy.com a large electronic distributor out of California I believe. I have sent them one more email politely asking for them to process my RMA (which I CC'd myself of course) and I do have documentation of everything I have done up till now.

Just an update for anyone who might care: I have sinced filed a claim with BBB in California since I saw them proudly displaying the logo on their website and it is now in the works waiting for a response from them.

I also went to the manufaturer of the amplifier directly and told them how their "Authorized Dealer" is being completely unprofessional and they have offered to handle the RMA directly. I will be leaving poop marks wherever I can for this company all because they couldn't send me a simple email or place a phone call to me.

Last edited:
Just an update for anyone who might care: I have sinced filed a claim with BBB in California since I saw them proudly displaying the logo on their website and it is now in the works waiting for a response from them.

I also went to the manufaturer of the amplifier directly and told them how their "Authorized Dealer" is being completely unprofessional and they have offered to handle the RMA directly. I will be leaving poop marks wherever I can for this company all because they couldn't send me a simple email or place a phone call to me.

Thanks for the update. Glad to see atleast the manufacturer is doing something about it!

Thanks for the update. Glad to see atleast the manufacturer is doing something about it!

Yes they have already given me an RMA number with instructions but I told them about my complaint with the BBB and I would like to hold on and see the results of that first. Millionbuy has 14 days to respond and I'm sure they will wait till the last day. :rolleyes:

Update:

The merchant just replied to the BBB complaint stating that they have issued the RA number three times and listed the dates! That's funny I received the shipping review confirmation email just fine...

I replied saying they have not sent one email and I know that for a fact and also asked how come they have not replied to one of my 3 emails to customer service? These guys are ridiculous you would think they would say hey can we call you to take care of this? Or hey do you have another email address we can use since their seems to be problems? :screwy:

Back