• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i boards any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chinky714

Hey guys I might want to pick up some old 680i boards on ebay soon. My question is how are they im terms of overclockability? What are good FSBs that were achieved on some of these boards? like EVGA's 680i? I always known about intel's chipset when it comes to overclocking intel like P965, P35, P45, I own a P965, and P43 and the 965 was able to hit 450FSB while the P43 had a wall at 400(this is probably an isolated cause of MY p43, got it as open box on the egg) I might want to pick up a 680i and put my E4500 on it and clock it. So are the 680i's good?

From what I remember reading on forums, the 680I is good at clocking dual cores, but not so much with Quad cores.

Quad cores tend to be FSB limited on the 680I. Since you are going to use a dual core, you shouldn't have any issues.

thanks guys, how come they're limited by the quad cores? dang :p i probably would've put my Q6600 in it and use the SLI to help fold/game hehe

Call me lazy, I didn't read the link above, but, I have an EVGA 680, I ran an e6600 and my current q6600 both at 3.5-3.6ghz.

The only thing I know of with a 680 board from EVGA and being able to clock a quad, it the earlier revision of the boards didnt overclock a quad for crap. Make sure you get an A1 revision. Otherwise, you wont even get 2.5 from a q6600.

680i wass notorius for FSB holes and other issues. The 780i is essentially a higher binned 680i but does not seem to have those problems. I took a 45nm quad (in sig) to 3.6Ghz on a 780i.

Instead of a 680i, get a P35 based board of SLI isnt a need.

From my limited personal experience with my own Nvidia based board they seem to be notoriously picky on how you tweak them.

I have managed to get mine 24/7 stable at 500mhz FSB with an 8x Multiplier on my E8400 and a 3:2 divider on my RAM. Had to up the NBCore voltage to 1.6v for that but temps and everything are under control. I'm on AIR and i have one of the large 140mm Scythe fans blowing all over the NB, CPU, PWM area and it keeps everything pretty chilly.

Back