• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Timing VS MHz?? Which is more beneficial?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chinky714

Hey guys I'm at a dilemma. I have OCZ rapers PC2 800. at 400MHz I can get them at 4-4-4-15 timings on 2.1V but to get higher to 1066 requires very loose timings and 2.3V which is better in terms of performance for every day use? tighter timings or higher FSB? I'm not going to benchmark and oooh and ahhh at a few hundred more MB of bandwidth. Only care about whats faster.

I was actually curious about this a couple days ago. I did some testing and I got much better results from using 1066mhz @ 5,4,4,12 than at 800mhz@4,4,4,12. I guess mine is a little skewed because the timings arent all that much different, but it did give quite an increase in bandwith when I use 1066 vs 800.

I used sandra professional to test my bandwith and it seems to work pretty well.

hmm for some reason using a 400MHz bootstrap leaves me at unstable at higher than 800MHz no matter what. Using a 266 bootstrap I am able to get the memory to 1000MHz exactly at 5-5-5-18 timings. Probably can go lower with more volts will need to test to make sure. Now my question is what does MCH bootstrap do and how does it affect performance? :p

Last edited:
fsb is the most important part when it comes to memory performance, i think :)

faster ram is good for accentuateing a high fsb,

or for use when rideing a realy high 1:1 fsb :thup:

and it always sux when your ram cant keep up :mad:

edit:

i vote mhz

Last edited:
its a balancing act, even though you see gains in everset or sandra. will you see those gains in gaming or what you do day to day? prolly not, ram speed isnt the hold up when tring to gain performance. no dought higher ram speed is good to have but if your cpu doesnt need the extra bandwidth from the higher speed. then all your really doing is just creating more heat and stress on your ram. you said your self you need 2.3v for the higher speed, at that voltage you take the chance of killing the ram ic's. hopefully for using that much voltage for the higher speed you have some active cooling on the ram. still that is no guarantee that the ram will be ok, i had active cooling on a kit of some D9GMH they died. though Freeagent bought the RMA kit and hasnt had any problems with it. im just going to say it's going to be a mixed bag if the ram dies or not even with active cooling.

The question is will this higher ram speed help your gaming or overall computer performance? only you can do the testing to answer that question... from my personal experince though even though i measured a gain in everest/sandra. my overall system/gaming performance didnt increase.. this was comparing DDR2-800 4-4-4-10 vs DDR2-960 4-4-4-12 vs DDR2-1000 5-5-5-14, so my ram lives at rated speed on a 1:1 ratio with a 400mhz fsb.

Back