• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 fails in the "blend" test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grim Tuesday

Registered
OK, so I was trying my hand at overclocking the other day, and I was pushing up my E6300 Conroe 1.86 GHZ, I got it up to 2.10 GHZ before I thought to run a stability test. So I ran Prime using the small fft test, and it easily passed it for an hour, or until I got bored of waiting, and stoppd it. I then ran the "blend" test, and my computer hung after only 7 minutes. Basicly, just using my computer caused great instability. I assumed that this was a RAM issue, so I ran memtest86+ and it too failed. With the advice of the MaximumPC forums, I changed the ratio to a lower amount, so that my 800 mhz RAM was running at 750. I then ran PRime again. It again failed. Then I thought that my RAM voltage was too low, as my mobo defaults at 1.8, and my RAM runs at 2.1. No love. Then I realized, that when running Memtes again, that newegg had, a year and a half ago sent me the wrong RAM, it's latency was 5-5-5-18, not 5-5-5-12. This meant that the correct voltage was 1.9, so I lowered it to that, and it still doesnt work. I have no idea what to do next, and I am thinking of giving up overclocking for good.

STATS:
1.86 GHZ E6300 Conroe
2 gigs of 800 mhz RAM, 5-5-5-18(or 5-5-5-12)
Nvidia 7600GS
250 Gig hdd
Gigabyte 965P-S3 with Intel P965
380 watt psu
If you need anymore stats, then just ask me

ALRIGT a pic and a linky coming right up!

This is the RAM that I bought, not sure it is the same one that I have though

RAM link

Double check the current Command Rate w/ CPU-Z--> "Memory" tab, but it should be set to 2T... not 1T. You should also be able to drop the Performance Level from 9 to 7 or 8, depending on your current FSB (it's currently at 266MHz w/ a 4:5 ratio; 266/667 NB strap for an effective 666MHz DRAM Freq.). Post a pic. of CPU-Z open to the "Memory" tab also. Again lower the primary timings to the SPD settings of 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 Vdimm.

put the timings on auto or drop them down to 4.4.4.12
try that blend test after again, you should pass it

what brand of ram are you using? hopefully its not generic

RAM link

THis is the RAM I am using

Alright, I ahve follewed the advice, and when I went int tthe bios, I found that I was underclcokign my RAM, it was actauly soppused to bea t 800, not 667. I will be running prime soon.

OK so I have a problem: When I run memtest, after changing the setting is the memory program, it still runsa t 5-5-5-18. Could this be because I am unable to change the first value in the program (cas latency i thnk)

Last edited:
usually the SPD (default ram timings) of your ram changes when you drop it down to a lower speed. iirc ddr2 800 is likely 5.5.5.15, and ddr2 667 is 4.4.4.12

i think it would be better not to play with the ram timings until after you reach your max cpu clock speed... just lower the speeds to 667 and see how far your cpu can go (should do about 3.2ghz easy)

You see, that is the problem: When I overclock, and run the prime95 blend test, my computer locks up. I assume that this is because of a memory issue, because prime runs fine with the small fft test. I cant lower the speed to 667, as when i raise the fsb to 300, the RAM goes with it. I can only change the ratio, and not totaly unlink it. Do you know how to do that?

if your memory wont pass memtest86+ at stock your looking at a bad module most likely. i would pull one module and run the remaining in the dimm closest to the cpu socket(cpu at stock as well). retest it with memtest at stock voltage, timings and speed(or as close to stock speed as you can get). if that one passes, try the second module. if one of the two fails its time to call corsair for a rma :(

Oh no, thats not my problem, this only happens when I overclock. Also, I figured out how to unlock the memory settings in my Bios (ALT+F1), so now the memory changes may work!

Back