• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 775 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

romphill

Just made a purchase for fun off of Craigslist....
$55 bones got me a Pentium D @ 3.40
4x512 memory (can't remember what type, but was off brand)
pny nvidia 8500gt
2 x 80 gb hard drive
dvd-rw

and a few other loose ends.

Catch was it wouldn't turn on. Guy figured it has a blown mobo, but turned out to actually be a bad power supply. I've got a fairly decent core 2 duo laptop, but I want to get a desktop as well so I need some advice.

I have that computer running, but it's in an ugly as sin MPC case. I think I already have my heart set on a antec 1200 (that should be funny looking...a $55 computer in a $175 case). The first hurdle though is the computer I have is a BTX form factor, which won't go in the 1200 as far as I know. I need to get some recommendations on a dirt cheap socket 775 atx motherboard, ideally with a pcix16 slot for the 8500gt as well as 4 memory slots.

I found a few on Geeks.com that were less than $40 and served one of these purposes, but not the other. In other words, I'm open to suggestions.

Speaking of suggestions, how asinine does this sound? Would I be better just scrapping the memory for a bit? Everything will be getting overhauled...in due time. Just in college and soon to be grad school so I'm on a very tight budget as I spiral more and more into debt. The perk of having the 8500 (I know it's not a great card by any means) is that I can have my laptop plugged into my monitor's d-sub and use the dvi-d for the desktop.

Thanks,

mp

Back