• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wiring up a tec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what gauge u using? i think normal molex can only do 5A but im not certain, could be 5a at 12v in which case ud be safe.

very strange post,

anyways, you should be able to get higher gauge at any electrical outlet, its pretty common.

Do you have the specification for the TEC? You mentioned running it off of the 5V supply and at 8 amps. I do not think that is a reasonable estimate. For one 5V x 8 Amps = 40 Watts. Even if we assumed zero loss in power conversion, that would not even be close to handling a +100W cpu. Also, hooking up the TEC to 5V will yield you a current based on the resistance of the circuit, which might not work out to 8amps. A typical 16AWG wire should be good up to 22Amps. For insulation, use high density foam like they use on air conditioning condensers. Many HVAC shops, even Home Depot sells the stuff.

im not gonna run it at 5v the whole time just for the first test run to make sure nothing is leaking or not making a good connection and to see what kind of temps i get. information came from xtremesystems TEC section stickies, which i cant seem to get to anymore on dial-up :bang head

Last edited:
XS is down, isnt you dw.

like noxqzs said, it wont handle 100W, you need something that is greater than the wattage of the CPU by at least 30%.

Are you going to run it off of your pc psu? You'd have better results if you hot wired a second psu and ran it off 12v. I really don't think you are going to get desirable results running it off 5v.

Not sure what the point of going through the trouble of wiring it up and insulating your motherboard if you aren't going to run it for keeps. If all you want to do is see if it works, you can put the leads on a AA battery. I don't think you will even be able to run it on your cpu with 5v, even if it is just to test.

god help me have patience.

then nobody is reading because i said im not gonna run it on 5v the whole time just for the first startup with it. yessh.

im not gonna run it at 5v the whole time just for the first test run to make sure nothing is leaking or not making a good connection and to see what kind of temps i get. information came from xtremesystems TEC section stickies, which i cant seem to get to anymore on dial-up :bang head

Back