• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Generic vs. Generic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am going to assume you are asking about the quality. Without more information we can't tell much. With most computer parts there is usually a point where there are no bad ones made. For example, look at 21" monitors. If a company is going to make one of that size it is going to be marketed to someone who knows a little about quality. If the buyer is going to spend the extra money, they are going to look to see what they are getting. I think something similar may happen for 400W powersupplies. This is a generalization based on my observations and there may be exceptions.

generic is good for some stuff like (case, ram) but a generic psu i wouldn't trust it when i bought my case it came with a 300 watt psu it wouldn't run the system so got a sparkle and i like it

pottsie said:
generic is good for some stuff like (case, ram) but a generic psu i wouldn't trust it when i bought my case it came with a 300 watt psu it wouldn't run the system so got a sparkle and i like it

sprakle is a great brand, but i disagree that generic ram is good...
with oc'n, ram is like the main thing that has to be good or else you wont get to good of an oc...

Dissolved said:

sprakle is a great brand, but i disagree that generic ram is good...
with oc'n, ram is like the main thing that has to be good or else you wont get to good of an oc...

that depends on how u plan on overclocking... if u just use the multiplier u could have whatever ram u want in it

The important way to select a PSU is by looking at the ratings on the +3.3v and +5v lines. I have a generic-ish 400W PSU and it delivers about the same power as a brand name 300 or 350W unit I think.

The general rule I've heard is to multiply the volts by the amp rating for the 3.3v and 5v lines(example: 15A on the 3.3V line = 49.5 and 20A on the 5v line = 100) and add them together, there should be a minimum of 200 (I heard this was the PSU guideline for an Epox 8K7A)

So look at the PSU's ratings. Otherwise, if you want to buy by brand name, Antec's, Powmax, Enermax are all good brands if you get 300W or higher.

Back