• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tightest timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speeddymon

Registered
So I'm about to upgrade for the first time in a couple of years. I'm on a 939 board with DDR1, so yes anything current is better than what I have, but I don't plan to upgrade again for another couple of years.

I'm using the old school OCZ Platinum's DDR400 with 2-2-2-5 timings (I think, I'd have to run CPU-Z again to be sure). I'm already decided on the board and proc I'm getting so now I need to know, what is the tightest timed memory STOCK, Corsair Dominator's or OCZ Platinum's?

FWIW, I'm getting an Asus Crosshair II Formula board, with a PhenII 940 Black and want to run the RAM at 1066MHz (PC2-8500).

$150 is probably the limit on how much I'll spend on memory, and I prefer 2x2GB's since the AMD procs have that limitation on RAM running at 1066MHz. If you need other info, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info, I've got it on my list. I'm gonna hang out for a lil bit longer to see if anyone has anything faster, but I'd assume what you have is probably _it_.. =)

I strongly suggest you go with the G.Skill or Corsair. OCZ is not what it was when you bought that DDR you are using.

Good luck with the new rig.

R7 :beer:

Thank you for the info. I was just about to ask if the PC9200 sticks will work with the Crosshair II Formula, as I can't find anything in English on google about the 2.. I haven't heard of G.Skill but I'm willing to give em a shot. Should I go with something on the QVL for the board, like the F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK (2x2GB) or is there something faster/better that isn't on the QVL yet?

Before hitting reply, I did some digging and came up with pages that indicate that the model ending in 2GBPK is 2x1GB and that 4GBPK is 2x2GB, which isn't on the QVL, but I did some more digging and discovered that 2x2GB will work with the Crosshair II Formula.. Anyone know of any others from G.Skill?

I'm a bit against Corsairs, even Dominator's due to having heard poor reviews of them in the past, but if the G.Skill's don't work out, I'll give the Dominator's a shot, having not had first hand experience with em yet.

Non i7 systems are less dependent on RAM so the type of RAM you get is more preference than anything else. You might notice a frame rate difference of up to 5 FPS (Considering the benchmarks I have seen that is a stretch) but how many people will notice that.
I just purchased Kingston HyperX RAM 1066 @ 5-5-5-15 2x2GB (KHX8500D2K2/4G). Even though I just got the RAM and am putting it through its paces I like how it preforms. 800mhz timings and 1066mhz speeds.

Yeah, I've noticed that ram isn't a real big deal on my computer. It doesn't make much difference the speed or timing of the memory.

Non i7 systems are less dependent on RAM so the type of RAM you get is more preference than anything else. You might notice a frame rate difference of up to 5 FPS (Considering the benchmarks I have seen that is a stretch) but how many people will notice that.
I just purchased Kingston HyperX RAM 1066 @ 5-5-5-15 2x2GB (KHX8500D2K2/4G). Even though I just got the RAM and am putting it through its paces I like how it preforms. 800mhz timings and 1066mhz speeds.
I think that's true of my PII rig as well. There is a modest difference in benchmarks, but nothing noticeable in the real world. This is going to make it tough on companies that thrive on the high end market.

R7 :beer:

While I do see your point, it's not so much of a difference on current gen games, but as newer games come out that need even faster hardware, that little bit of extra oomph will help out. Think of it like this. Currently, in certain areas of World of Warcraft, I get like.. 7fps (Dalaran), that extra 5-6fps would definitely be noticable in there, as my movement won't be so darn jerky. Now, in other areas where I get 70+ fps, it's not as big of a deal, but having that little bit will go a long way in say Crysis III or some other game that may come out in the future.

Sorry to revive a long-since-dead topic, I just wanted to update: I went with the G.Skill's and they worked great with my Crosshair II Formula.

The memory timings actually did play a huge factor in performance for me. I ran for over a year with everything set to auto in the BIOS, and it ran about ok. I discovered the oversight recently and corrected it to the correct timings and frequency and I jumped like 30FPS in some areas.

Back