• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to buy: DDR2 800 at 4-4-3-8, or 1066 at 5-5-5-15 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ken B.

Which would you get? (NOT OVERCLOCKING)!

I'm going to be running an x3 710 Phenom II.

The timings on that DDR2-800 RAM are sooo good, I'm wondering which type would be better to get.

Or would it be a draw?

1066mhz 5-5-5-15 is equal to 800mhz 4-4-4-12, so i guess the 800mhz kit would be better.

do you mean you won't OC your ram or your cpu? because you could easily get either speed you wanted with either kit.

Try downloading Everest. I have benchmarked my 1066 5-5-5-15, generally it performs better than ddr2 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings. Except if its Phenom 2 ddr2 800 then it smokes my 1066 crucials.

oh sorry, forgot to check if he was AMD or Intel :p

and they're around the same performance anyway. i tried booting with both speeds and timings, and not much diff. that's with my system anyway. i'm not clear on how AMDs operate, but i know the RAM performs differently on AMD.

See, I'm not seeing where you come up with 'they're the same' bus speed, bandwidth, and latency timings are different. Looking at my system. with a 400mhz fsb, if i run my ram at 800mhz with tighter timings, i get higher read, write, and access numbers than I do at 1066 with looser timings.

"Theoretically", he said. Memory speed is a product of both latency ("timing") and bandwidth. Slower timings are offset by higher bandwidth, as with the case of the aforementioned DDR1066. The math, apparently, works out the same. And as has been said, the DDR2 is capable of running at tighter timings when down-clocked to 800 mhz bandwidth. It's like do you want to move a pile of dirt with two front end loaders using 1 cu. yard buckets or one loader using a two cu. yard bucket. Theoretically, its a wash. Of course, in real computing tasks there may actually be a difference depending on what kind of computing you are doing. Some computing tasks will benefit from greater bandwidth and others will benefit from quicker latencies.

Basically the 1066 is a little bit faster in benchmarks but in real world usage you can't see the difference. Since the performance gap is very small.

See, I'm not seeing where you come up with 'they're the same' bus speed, bandwidth, and latency timings are different. Looking at my system. with a 400mhz fsb, if i run my ram at 800mhz with tighter timings, i get higher read, write, and access numbers than I do at 1066 with looser timings.
either my ram doens't give me different results, or Sandra XII or w/e the program i used isn't accurate enough.

i've tried 400mhz 4-4-3-10 and 500mhz 5-5-5-15 and there is only 0.5% difference. i have lost my screenshots and results, but i remember one had better latency and the other had higher read speeds. it's impossible to tell in real life though. although, i could probably find the answer if i did a 32M pi test.

either my ram doens't give me different results, or Sandra XII or w/e the program i used isn't accurate enough.

i've tried 400mhz 4-4-3-10 and 500mhz 5-5-5-15 and there is only 0.5% difference. i have lost my screenshots and results, but i remember one had better latency and the other had higher read speeds. it's impossible to tell in real life though. although, i could probably find the answer if i did a 32M pi test.

I've found it does speed up SuperPi when using the higher speed.

Back