• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

missing socket pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expert87

Hi;
my motherboard's LGA socket is missing a tip of a pin -not the whole pin just the head- and it refuses to work -it works but keeps restarting berfore entering the POST screen-,the mainboard came with an error reporting system using 4 lights...they indicated a cpu error.
I checked the LGA 775 diagram and found that the missing pin is a common clock not a ground one...I tried several times to attach a small thin wire to replace the broken pin nothing was able to fit in there :(
Does that mean my motherboard is dead??
Can't I do anything to fix it?
is it possible to replace that LGA model using simple soldering techinques?
Iam really upset...I have been saving to get this fan and now the new mainboard is gone:bang head
any ideas are welcome

Last edited:
one thing....the pins are not straight upward as in pemtium 3...they are bent to the right and their tiny heads are upward....is that correct?
If anyone can post a picture of the LGA socket on a motherboard...with clear positions of the pins it would be very helpfull

Last edited:
if you have the skill

useing thin thin solder and a very fine tip. put a little ball of solder on the tip of the pin. I had this problem and i used silver solder on it and it fixed it. But it requires good soldering sklls and a very steady hand. If you dont know for a fact you can do it i say RMA since the solder method will void your warrenty.

one thing....the pins are not straight upward as in pemtium 3...they are bent to the right and their tiny heads are upward....is that correct?
If anyone can post a picture of the LGA socket on a motherboard...with clear positions of the pins it would be very helpfull

uhhh judging from this i say RMA it

yea they dont come straight down like a P3 because P3s has the pins on the processor not the motherboard and all the pins should be going the same way
heres a pic any way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sockel_775.jpg

i am sure this has happened before so its nothing new to the manufacturers and i am sure theres been defects in the metal of the pins before as well causing them to break

I know P3 has the pins but that was an example...
can anyone check if the pins on his LGA are straight or bent?

hi i just registered because i had the same problem and thought i might help you out with my sollution.
i took silly putty, spread it over the socked by gently touching it and made a tiny hole where the pin was missing, then i sliced a sata cable open and took a bit of the ground wire as a replacement pin, dipped the end in very little solder, very very little to be precise and stuck it in the hole i made earlier. then i just heated the pin until the solder melted and took some cold spray to chill the putty and carefully removed it from the socket. installed the cpu and i was good to go. it took me a lot of effort because straightening or cutting the pin afterwarts broke the solder everytime. so get it straight in there and cut the right size before you start soldering. this may not be the best way to do it but did the job for me.

Pins in the 775 socket are not straight. They're angled ( depending on which way you look at the socket) with the tips bent upwards. Th pins are set this way and act as springs. The tip of the pins make contact with the chip and when pressed down make secure contact.

If you're missing a tip (dot) to one of the pins, there's noway of repairing this. You'll have to RMA the board for replacement.

hi i just registered because i had the same problem and thought i might help you out with my sollution.
i took silly putty, spread it over the socked by gently touching it and made a tiny hole where the pin was missing, then i sliced a sata cable open and took a bit of the ground wire as a replacement pin, dipped the end in very little solder, very very little to be precise and stuck it in the hole i made earlier. then i just heated the pin until the solder melted and took some cold spray to chill the putty and carefully removed it from the socket. installed the cpu and i was good to go. it took me a lot of effort because straightening or cutting the pin afterwarts broke the solder everytime. so get it straight in there and cut the right size before you start soldering. this may not be the best way to do it but did the job for me.

Thanks a lot my friend....since I'm getting a new cpu soon I feel its ok to fry my current one since it is too old...I will start working on it and hope I willtell you good news soon :)

well,
I did contact MSI they said "we can't help you, you must talk to your local distributer"
and my local distributer can't help me casue no mainboard live for more than 3-4months in the market here...because poeple here ten to throw any broken parts away and buy a new one

that is strange I thought all major motherboard manufacturers would allow you to directly RMA the products through them, I know ASUS and Gigabyte certainly allow it.

Back