• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox 360 warranty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

super2007

Well i had bought a like new xbox 360 from a friend about year n half ago for $200, it was like new, with half of stuff still in the box, until today it gave me the red ring of error, for the first time, first it would freeze up and now it wont even start period. I have 3 red ring flashing, tried removing the HD, etc noting solved it. Microsoft is saying its hardware failure.

Now everywhere on google, people talking about "repairing" xbox 360's and also Criaglist is full of that stuff too, $65 for repairing red ring, which will not void your warranty :confused: now is this true?

How is Microsoft policy with xbox 360 warranty and their service?
Have anyone else had this issue on this forums? or similar experience they can share with me?
Should i try and pay someone on criaglist or is there a "FIX" i can do my self? since i am pretty good with fixing things.

Thanks

Call Microsoft up to check, only use repair service if your unit is out of warranty. Once you get your unit back, buy yourself an Intercooler TS (Temp Sensing) and you should be ok.

Wow, really strange that you just had this happen. My 360 elite died last night too. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with mine as well. If I want to try to fix it myself or if I wanna try to send it back to microsuck. I just wonder how much they would charge me to fix it. Depending on the price, I may just snag the hard drive off my elite and go buy an arcade or whatever the lowest model is with HDMI this weekend.

I bought one second handed as well, the Xbox had never been registered with M$ so I got a one year warranty from the build date and I just purchased another year extended warranty from M$ a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had any problems with mine yet, cross fingers.

You might want to see if its been registered or not before doing anything else. If you can register it and pick up an extended warranty and send it in down the road a little maybe get it taken care of??

Just my 2 cents

Standard warrant is 1 year. Red Ring of Death (RROD) is three years.

I heard some xbox has disc scratch problem with their disc drives, and MS will deny fixing your drive.

Call Microsoft up to check, only use repair service if your unit is out of warranty. Once you get your unit back, buy yourself an Intercooler TS (Temp Sensing) and you should be ok.

why would he want to buy a device that is known for killing consoles?

Call 1-800-4my-xbox and they will ask you the serial number of the console. It's prob still under warranty. They'll send you a box to ship it to them, free of charge and an RMA #. You'll get it back in 2-3 weeks fixed professionally. Lord knows what those people advertising repairs are doing.

Standard warrant is 1 year. Red Ring of Death (RROD) is three years.

I heard some xbox has disc scratch problem with their disc drives, and MS will deny fixing your drive.

The disc scratch problem comes when people turn the xbox on it's side. (Perpendicular to ground.)

Many overheating problems come from using the console on carpet, or enclosed in a shelf.

As mentioned, the intercoolers will actually overheat your console. The PSU is not designed to handle the additional load and will either burn up the PSU or cause other hardware failures.

The 'towel method' can solve some problems, but personally I think it's a little crazy. http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/towel-trick-provides-temporary-fix-to-xbox-360s-red-ring-of-d/

^ If your console has overheated and broken some solder connections, you can REALLY overheat the console and remelt the solder. I've talked to one person who did this and said he got another 6 months out of the box before it died totally.

Good Luck. It sucks to lose your saves. :(

just go to xbox.com and register your xbox 360, since it has rrod they fix it for free and even send you the box and everything.

if you don't want to wait 2 weeks you can fix it yourself in under an hour, just google the xclamp fix. But if I were you I'll just send it to ms, since the xclamp fix is not permenant.

The disc scratch problem comes when people turn the xbox on it's side. (Perpendicular to ground.)

Many overheating problems come from using the console on carpet, or enclosed in a shelf.

Oh get the hell out of here! :)

Those are MICROSOFT excuses.

I had my 360 sitting on top of an oak desk with plenty of ventilation on all sides and I STILL got the RROD.

And... as far as I know... it wasn't 3 years warranty on every xbox... but three years from the date they first started ISSUING that warranty (which, I believe, is over now. There was an article about some Microsoft rep complaining that they released their big update right around the time the warranty ended.)

I may be wrong... but, as others have said... just call and see.

The Intercooler TS does not use the power from the 3609 but have its own power cord. What you are thinking about is the Intercooler EX.

Oh get the hell out of here! :)

Those are MICROSOFT excuses.

I had my 360 sitting on top of an oak desk with plenty of ventilation on all sides and I STILL got the RROD.

Yeah, well... Hmmm, there's got to be a stunning rebuttal here... Nope.

You're right rainless, those ARE M$ excuses. : / My bad.

I didn't mean to imply these were the ONLY reasons they overheat/malfunction.

When I look at -what is essentially a full PC- enclosed in a tightly fitting plastic box, the first thing I think is... "looks like it's going to have thermal issues."

No, the designers definitely deserve a boot in the arse for the design, and another boot for not fixing it. (And a third boot for this being the second generation of consoles with overheating problems.)

I NEVER buy extended warranties, but I did for my Xbox.

Good luck to the poster. Let us know how it goes. We might be in your position someday.

The Intercooler TS does not use the power from the 3609 but have its own power cord. What you are thinking about is the Intercooler EX.

It's still bad for the console as it actually hinders the designed airflow by working against the two installed fans in the rear. It's just a bad product period.

My 360 recently was repaired at MS plant in Texas. Very quick. Hassle free. They even gave me a 1 month XBOX Live card. Mine was a original 20GB Pro and it was a little over 2 years old. Got the RROD. It looks like I got the same console back, but repaired. Though it does seem to run cooler then before and is not as loud. Not sure what they did, but I did a long 4-5 hour test using Rainbow Six Las vegas and it passed with flying colors. :) Good job MS, for once.

BTW, forgot to mention it was at the repair facility for about 2-3 days and promptly shipped back to me via ground. I say the process took around 10-12 days total including shipping both ways and not a cent out of my pocket.

k i finally had time to call them, whole call took like 5 mins, turn out my xbox wasn't registered, since i bought it used from a friend, turn out customer service lady registered my xbox and did some troubleshoting, turns out it bad hardware, and Its stil in Microsoft extended warranty. so They will send me a shipping label and then i will ship the xbox to the service center and after 2 weeks it should be back FIXED!

Great experience i must say so far, lets see how rest of it goes, someone said they send u the box? well this case i will have to use my box, which isn't big deal anyway

Back