• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long time lurker, 1st time with a question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ben7530

Hello All!

I have checked all the FAQs and read all the stickies, but I still have a problem...

I just upgraded to an AMD Kuma 7750, OCZ reaper 1066 memory (2x2gb) and the Asus M3A78-EM motherboard.

I have an Nvidia 9800gtx, and am running windows 7 x64, build 7057.

here is the problem:

I can either get a nice, stable overclock by setting the multiplier to x15, resulting in 3ghz. Runs Prime 95 fine, no problems. However, this ONLY works with the ram at 800mhz, ganged.

OR, I can get my memory up to 1066mhz ganged, by not OC'ing the processor at all. This configuration will also run p95 just fine.
However, with the multiplier set to x15 and manual memory settings (2.1v), The system is completely unstable.

Am I missing a voltage issue, What?

Why does cpu-z show that the EPP mode of my memory show a "needed" voltage of 2.2v (which does'nt work either.)?

Surely there is a way to OC my processor AND have my ram run at 533mhz (1066)??

And, if there is not, I am WAAAY better off running the processor at 3ghz and the memory at 800mhz, correct?

Thanks in advance for your time,
--Ben

Hello All!

I have checked all the FAQs and read all the stickies, but I still have a problem...

I just upgraded to an AMD Kuma 7750, OCZ reaper 1066 memory (2x2gb) and the Asus M3A78-EM motherboard.

I have an Nvidia 9800gtx, and am running windows 7 x64, build 7057.

here is the problem:

I can either get a nice, stable overclock by setting the multiplier to x15, resulting in 3ghz. Runs Prime 95 fine, no problems. However, this ONLY works with the ram at 800mhz, ganged.

OR, I can get my memory up to 1066mhz ganged, by not OC'ing the processor at all. This configuration will also run p95 just fine.
However, with the multiplier set to x15 and manual memory settings (2.1v), The system is completely unstable.

Am I missing a voltage issue, What?

Why does cpu-z show that the EPP mode of my memory show a "needed" voltage of 2.2v (which does'nt work either.)?

Surely there is a way to OC my processor AND have my ram run at 533mhz (1066)??

And, if there is not, I am WAAAY better off running the processor at 3ghz and the memory at 800mhz, correct?

Thanks in advance for your time,
--Ben

First, what timings are you using for 800 and 1066? I have a feeling you need to loosen timings or up the voltage and lower timings to run 1066.

And yes, running at 3GHz is much better.

Thanks for the quick response

My current timings, in 400mhz memory mode, are 5-5-5-15-24-2T.

The EPP#1 configuration recommended by cpu-z v1.50 (and the OCZ website) is 5-5-5-15-26-2T, 2.2V

I have tried those exact timings and voltage with no luck. (with CPU overclocked; w/o cpu overclocked, those settings work fine.)

CPU running at a stable 3ghz, HT 1800mhz, bus speed 200mhz (Seems low?)
core voltage 1.360v

Thanks for all the help guys!
--Ben

Last edited:
It sounds as the the memory controller in the CPU can't keep up at the higher clock. I agree with WonderingSoul's suggestions, but don't think you should go higher than 2.2 volts. You can also try upping the CPU NB voltage as it looks like the NB memory controller in the CPU is the problem. You can also loosen the iRFC timings to 195ns. (They are probably at 75 by default)

Just for the record, I have been unable to get 3 different sets of OCZ to run at 1066 in my Phenom II system. However running at 800MHz is not much, if any, performance hit.

Good luck with it, ben7530, and :welcome: to the OCF. :beer:

R7

ok i have a ?? here i have the SAME mobo as ben7530 an asus m2n78-em ......just bought it now i dont want my memory "ganged" but i cant seem to find a bios settting that lets me set ganged or unganged........could anyone give me a clue here im unfamiliar with asus bios

Back