• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX Distributor Misleading Egyptian Consumers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abu Som3a

Registered
Arguing with the salesmen and e-Mailing XFX has led to nothing, so I had no other option but publish what is going on and hope this will eventually lead to a resonse. If not, then at least I have aroused an interesting topic. If I'm breaking any rules please let me know.

I'll start off by saying that the market conditions in Egypt are surprisingly very good. For example, an ASUS P43 motherboard sells for $75. A Phenom II 920 sells for $195. And you can buy a WD6400AAKS hard drive for $63...And the list goes on. These prices are much cheaper than Europe and maybe even the US in some cases.

The problem only lies in video cards. Not all video cards. I mean Nvidia. No, actually not all Nvidia. Only XFX. Let me elaborate:
AMD cards are cheap. A Powercolor HD4850 for example sells for $140. Nvidia cards may be a little expensive for what they offer, but you can find an excuse like PhysX for buying them.
The XFX distributor, however, takes it to a whole new level and manages to sell 9500GT cards (with 1GB DDR2 memory running at half its intended frequency) for more than the price of a HD4670, and actually outsell the HD4670 and even most of the competing Nvidia brand cards. Pricing is not what concerns me, and it shouldn't. It's the practices the distributor is doing that made me go through writing this topic:
1) Spreading propaganda on how XFX video cards are superior to competing brands as Gigabyte.
2) Spreading propaganda on how Nvidia video cards are superior to AMD. They even refused to import XFX AMD video cards because that would contradict with what they have been claiming for the past several years. One of their salesmen specifically claimed that an Nvidia 8400GS is better than an AMD HD4870.
3) Claiming that XFX low-end cards and motherboards with built-in video cards can run demanding games at maximum settings.

So far, I have no proof for what I just said. But these pamphlets/posters they are distributing and publishing in newspapers will give a clear indication of their honesty and knowledge, or lack of thereof.
The articles can be found here:
http://www.cairocomputer.com/news.html

011emy.jpg

In the 7-series days, they made a popular Egyptian soccer player sponsor a 7300GS video card. Sponsoring such a low-end card both is both demeaning to the player (same applies to Fata1ty and midrange XFX video cards but to a greater extent), and misleading to the consumers as they will think it is a powerful gaming card.

e6001a185a464bc04570583.jpg

Here's the translation:

The Smart Fan (PWM Fansink)

Only From XFX

What is PWM technology?
PWM technology is a unique technology only present in XFX video cards. It is known as Pulse Width Modulation, and its function is to control the speed and rate of power consumption of the fan present on the card automatically. Meaning that PWM increases or decreases the number of cycles of the fan according to the application being used.

Example:
If you are using light applications as Microsoft Word, then PWM automatically reduces the number of cycles of the fan in the XFX video cards. But if you are playing an intense video game or working on a 3D application, then the fan increases its speed gradually until it cools down the video card properly.

How can you tell if PWM is present or not?
A video card with PWM technology has a 4 pin power cable to its fan, but a video card without it only has two. This unique feature is not present on any card except XFX video cards only.

What is the function of PWM technology?
A video card without PWM technology works all the time at 100% of the fan power, and with a noise of 33dB, which exposes the fan to failure quickly.

An XFX video card with PWM technology reduces 50% of power consumption and gives a noise level of only 18dB.

*It then displays some pictures of other "inferior brand" products that don't have PWM technology.*

Written in bold letters at the footer of the page:
XFX video cards are the only cards in Egypt that have PWM technology.
Here is some misleading or inaccurate information I've spotted:
1) PWM is a marketing gimmik because the competing video cards from other brands can already reduce the speed of their fans when idle. XFX just made it more dynamic, which brings no real gains to the consumer.
2) Nearly all current video cards reduce their fan speed when idle. The article clearly misleads the consumer into thinking otherwise.
3) 33dB is loud. Not...
4) Running the fan at 100% all the time doesn't necessarily mean it will fail quickly, or at all.
5) PWM is not activated when using a simple application as Word. It is activated when no 3D applications are running.
6) PWM doesn't reduce the power consumption of the whole video card by 50%. It is the reduction of the GPU and memory clock frequencies that does so. If the pamphlet said "up to 50%", then maybe nobody could have argued. But stating 50% as a fact is blatantly wrong.

Here's also another topic:
5e66559fdb4541226616de8.jpg

40% increase in performance from XFX with PhysX technology by Nvidia:

What is Physics (Not PhysX :cool:) technology?
Physics technology is the one responsible for improving everything related to movement and special effects that can occur in games, with the picture you are supposed to see regardless of the power of the graphics card...as explosions that create dust and others...
Physics technology is the only one capable of producing graphical effects at the highest and most powerful degree of awesomeness.
Physics Technology increases the performance of the video card by 30-50% over its normal performance.
And to ensure that XFX - Cairo Computer keep their leadership in the video card world, we have ensured that this technology reaches all XFX video card users.
Previously, you had to purchase a separate card from the video card to have PhysX technology, and its price would reach $300. Now you can have Physics technology for free with all XFX video cards, starting from the "Geforce8400GS". This makes the video cards as if they have been resurrected, because this technology gives higher speed and performance to all cards (but with differing percentages according to the card model).
Physics Technology is available in two versions: one is compatiable with Windows XP, and the other for Windows Vista. You can also get a CD including these two versions from the XFX festival in Elskhawy Mall when you buy any XFX video card.
*Then they put two rapidshare links, one for an XP driver, and the other for a Vista driver*

Now my dear client, if you are an XFX user you can enjoy games in a way different from the past.
Here are a few points:
1) It's called PhysX, not Physics.
2) It doesn't improve the performance of the video card. It actually reduces it because it adds more particles.
3) It only works with few games. Otherwise it has no effect.
4) The latest version can be downloaded safely and quickly directly from Nvidia. Uploading it on rapidshare makes no sense, and actually exposes XFX to a legal vulnerability for uploading it there and claiming it is theirs.
5) An 8400GS, as a dedicated PhysX card, cannot accelerate PhysX effects with reasonable performance, let alone doing both graphics and PhysX calculations. Also PhysX should be the least of the concerns of a 8400GS user.
6) They made no mention that XFX AMD video cards don't support this feature. They don't need to because they have no intention of importing XFX AMD video cards in the near future.
7) They made no mention that only 8-series cards or later support this feature.

006n.jpg

I'm translating this article especially as-is, so any spelling or grammar mistakes are intended. This is also an article from the 7-series days. It is so funny that I will not even comment on it:

Cairo Computer - the only distributor of XFX in Egypt has welcomed the new year by releasing the newest versions of the video cards produced from XFX: Nvidia Geforce 7600GT as the first joint production between the two companies XFX and Fitallty.
Johnathan Wendel, the exceutive manager of Fatal1ty says: "Our choice to XFX video card because of its high performance and huge capabilities and its technical properties that meet the different needs of professional players, which require products with quality and high performance."
And Alexander Kamal - the general manager of Cairo Computer: "XFX always surprises us with the new of its products that meet modern technologies in a way that attracts attention, and its co-joint with Fitallty Company wasn't easy, because Fitally is one of the companies that subdue victory to certain tests and specifications that can only be hardly accomplished."
And he added that XFX works on providing video cards that combine between quality, high performance, and providing the latest of what technology has achieved and at the cheapest prices to ensure satisfying with the different social (*not market) segements, and because of that it gains a large popularity on its different products.
And he finshed his talk by saying: "And we are very proud of all the successes made by XFX which ensures that we were right when we chose to be the sole distributor of XFX products in the Egyptian market. And we are looking forward to achieving a large segment of the Egyptian video card market under the shadow of its huge competition; as XFX has won the prize "Best Video Card in the World" for the third consecutive year from Windows Magazine during last Gitex show, which provides proof on how special XFX products are."
For those who don't know what Fatal1ty stands for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal1ty

Last edited:
Uhm, the date on that last picture you posted is over 2 years old. What exactly are you trying to say here? That marketeers use shady claims? Duh. That non-native speakers sound funny when putting together a press release in English? Duh. That the 7600GT is an old card? Double-duh.

I dont see how this differs from every other distributor. They all claim they are better than everyone else in some way or another.

Uhm, the date on that last picture you posted is over 2 years old. What exactly are you trying to say here? That marketeers use shady claims? Duh. That non-native speakers sound funny when putting together a press release in English? Duh. That the 7600GT is an old card? Double-duh.
I said the article was in the 7-series days. And I also added recent ones as the ones on PhysX and PWM.
There are some others but these are what I found translation worthy.

I dont see how this differs from every other distributor. They all claim they are better than everyone else in some way or another.
Adding superlatives is something. Stating blatantly wrong information is another.

nVidia customer software usage license said:
4. COPYRIGHT

All title and copyrights in and to the SOFTWARE (including but not limited to all images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and other information incorporated into the SOFTWARE), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the SOFTWARE, are owned by NVIDIA, or its suppliers. The SOFTWARE is protected by copyright laws and international treaty provisions. Accordingly, Customer is required to treat the SOFTWARE like any other copyrighted material, except as otherwise allowed pursuant to this LICENSE and that it may make one copy of the SOFTWARE solely for backup or archive purposes.

Not sure if the same applies to OEMs, but XFX might get in some trouble for uploading nVidia files to rapidshare and claiming it as their own... Providing RapidShare links rather than nVidia links is rather obviously trying to hide the fact that it is nVidia tech, not XFX tech.

Not sure if the same applies to OEMs, but XFX might get in some trouble for uploading nVidia files to rapidshare and claiming it as their own... Providing RapidShare links rather than nVidia links is rather obviously trying to hide the fact that it is nVidia tech, not XFX tech.
How about claiming that Johanathan Wendel is the CEO of a company called Fata1ty?

hmm I don't know what you're trying to get at. Seems like to me you are disliking XFX as a company for no apparent reason? The Articles you posted seem to be by cairo computers? A website/tech site; seems like you should gripe about them not about XFX. Since its their article. In fact all the posters you linked doesn't even show that its actually an ad released by XFX themselves. You're basically angry at XFX for ads that they probably did not create themselves? XFX only distributes, its up to the retailers to determine final pricing according to how much profit they want to make. Take for instance Newegg, they were selling the X3 720 for $163 the first few weeks it was released. Do you go and blame AMD for apparently higher prices? Even though its clearly newegg who determines the final price due to supply and demand? If the retailers in your country see that there is a high demand for a certain brand and the buyers are willing to pay more for said brand can you blame the company? My suggestion is, if you don't like XFX don't buy from them. They are obviously not hurting over the loss of "your" sale. They didn't lie claiming they are superior. Your points about the article doesn't make sense either. You said that XFX clearly says they are better than other companies even with the same chipset. I didn't read that from your translation, like for instance XFX says physX is a free technology with their XFX cards. Do they charge extra for PhysX? No. Did they claim that other brands like EVGA doesn't have this technology or charge a premium over it? NO. You are forgetting that it is an XFX ADVERTISEMENT, why would you expect them to mention other brands being just as good or better? If you owned a company that competes in a heavy competition market would you want to mention your competitors having the same technology being equally good or better than YOU IN YOUR ad? I don't think so.

oh and about johnathon wendel, I never even heard he was CEO, infact i remember back in the Abit Days, they only claimed he helped design boards giving input on what he would like to see in the products, never that he designed the products specifically. Also Fatality is not a company, so he can not be CEO, it is a trademark.

Sorry, there's no story here. It's a marketer doing what marketers do. Try as hard as possible to sell their product. He'd be a pretty poor distributor if he said things like 'Our cards are underpowered compared to XYZ brand. they're got us whipped all over the place.. and they're less expensive"

The Articles you posted seem to be by cairo computers? A website/tech site; seems like you should gripe about them not about XFX. Since its their article. In fact all the posters you linked doesn't even show that its actually an ad released by XFX themselves. You're basically angry at XFX for ads that they probably did not create themselves?
Cairo Computer is the sole certified XFX distributor in Egypt. They represent XFX.
You're basically angry at XFX for ads that they probably did not create themselves? XFX only distributes, its up to the retailers to determine final pricing according to how much profit they want to make. Take for instance Newegg, they were selling the X3 720 for $163 the first few weeks it was released. Do you go and blame AMD for apparently higher prices? Even though its clearly newegg who determines the final price due to supply and demand? If the retailers in your country see that there is a high demand for a certain brand and the buyers are willing to pay more for said brand can you blame the company?
In my first post I said: "Pricing is not what concerns me, and it shouldn't. It's the practices the distributor is doing that made me go through writing this topic:"
My suggestion is, if you don't like XFX don't buy from them. They are obviously not hurting over the loss of "your" sale.
People don't know. They listen to the emplyees' lies. See their professionally-made pamphlets. Then they buy.
You said that XFX clearly says they are better than other companies even with the same chipset. I didn't read that from your translation, like for instance XFX says physX is a free technology with their XFX cards. Do they charge extra for PhysX? No. Did they claim that other brands like EVGA doesn't have this technology or charge a premium over it? NO.
What does the phrase "40% increase in performance only from XFX using PhysX technology from Nvidia" mean to you?
And this is not what concerns me. What upsets me is when the salesmen say their products are much faster than the competing cards, or when they claim that a built-in video card in an XFX motherboard can run Assassin's Creed at maximum settings. Or that a 8400GS is faster than a HD4870. THIS is what concerns me.

You are forgetting that it is an XFX ADVERTISEMENT, why would you expect them to mention other brands being just as good or better? If you owned a company that competes in a heavy competition market would you want to mention your competitors having the same technology being equally good or better than YOU IN YOUR ad? I don't think so.
Adding superlatives is one thing. Stating blatantly wrong information is another.
oh and about johnathon wendel, I never even heard he was CEO, infact i remember back in the Abit Days, they only claimed he helped design boards giving input on what he would like to see in the products, never that he designed the products specifically. Also Fatality is not a company, so he can not be CEO, it is a trademark.
If you haven't noticed, I was being sarcastic. Fata1ty is the alias of Joanathan Wendel. He sponsors computer components the same way Michael Jordan sponsors Nike's. The manager of Cairo Computer made his press release thinking it was a company. He doesn't even know what he is talking about.

Last edited:
People don't know. They listen to the emplyees' lies. See their professionally-made pamphlets. Then they buy.

How is that any different from Bose or any other company that advertises things that just aren't true, or are marginally kinda-sorta-true?

Is there just not much western style advertising in Egypt to compare this to?

edit: Here's some FALSE ADVERTISING OH NOEZZZZZZ from Palit: http://www.palit.biz/en/products/nv_pcie_8500GT-Super-1GB.html

Palit said:
GeForce® 8500GT Super+1GB equipped with avant-garde 1024MB super memory size which allows the users to escape from memory capacity bottlenecks.

It's marginally true, except that memory capacity is never going to be a bottleneck on that card. Are they bad people for making and selling these cards? No. They're a business trying to make money.

Last edited:
How is that any different from Bose or any other company that advertises things that just aren't true, or are marginally kinda-sorta-true?

Is there just not much western style advertising in Egypt to compare this to?
Bose is advertising technologies that still theoretically exist in the final product. The same way Gigabyte advertises UD3. The same way EPP exists. The same way people buy PMPO 20000W speakers that only output 8W RMS. They create some fancy technology or nomenclature that brings no real benefits, and then put the words "best" and "faststest" next to it.

I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT. My problem is that the articles are saying WRONG things. Thats it. AMD cannot put an advertisment saying that its Sempron processors are faster than Core i7. Neither should XFX.

Last edited:
It's marginally true, except that memory capacity is never going to be a bottleneck on that card. Are they bad people for making and selling these cards? No. They're a business trying to make money.
They are playing with words. See the word allows? Same happens when they say "up to X% increase", or use the phrase "can" or "help".

But in the articles I translated, they didnt do that. They just stated them as facts. Also when a salesman tells that X is faster than Y, while the opposite is true, then he is lying.

Cairo Computer is the sole certified XFX distributor in Egypt. They represent XFX.
In my first post I said: "Pricing is not what concerns me, and it shouldn't. It's the practices the distributor is doing that made me go through writing this topic:"
What does the phrase "40% increase in performance only from XFX using PhysX technology" mean to you? Do you read Nvidia in the sentence?
And this is not what concerns me. What upsets me is when the salesmen say their products are much faster than the competing cards, or when they claim that a built-in video card in an XFX motherboard can run Assassin's Creed at maximum settings. Or that a 8400GS is faster than a HD4870. THIS is what concerns me.

Adding superlatives is one thing. Stating blatantly wrong information is another.
If you haven't noticed, I was being sarcastic. Fata1ty is the alias of Joanathan Wendel. He sponsors computer components the same way Michael Jordan sponsors Nike's. The manager of Cairo Computer made his press release thinking it was a company. He doesn't even know what he is talking about.

lol once again your gripe is with cairo, not with XFX. Cairo is doing what they want to do to sell what they want.
"Physics Technology increases the performance of the video card by 30-50% over its normal performance.
And to ensure that XFX - Cairo Computer keep their leadership in the video card world, we have ensured that this technology reaches all XFX video card users."

where does it say compared to any other card? This is tech market, its up to the buyers to become informed themselves. Also you seem to have trouble reading articles or comprehending them. One they never stated in what benchmark does PhysX provide 30-50% performance. Its too vague to determine if they are lying. They never said 50% increase in Crysis At MAX RESOLUTION did they? They just said 30-50% increase of the video card's performance. Hell if in one benchmark the fps went from 3 fps to 4.5 fps with Physx on then Guess WHAT BUDDY? they didn't lie. thats a 50% increase in performance.

lol once again your gripe is with cairo, not with XFX. Cairo is doing what they want to do to sell what they want.
"Physics Technology increases the performance of the video card by 30-50% over its normal performance.
And to ensure that XFX - Cairo Computer keep their leadership in the video card world, we have ensured that this technology reaches all XFX video card users."

where does it say compared to any other card? This is tech market, its up to the buyers to become informed themselves. Also you seem to have trouble reading articles or comprehending them. One they never stated in what benchmark does PhysX provide 30-50% performance. Its too vague to determine if they are lying. They never said 50% increase in Crysis At MAX RESOLUTION did they? They just said 30-50% increase of the video card's performance. Hell if in one benchmark the fps went from 3 fps to 4.5 fps with Physx on then Guess WHAT BUDDY? they didn't lie. thats a 50% increase in performance.
They didn't say up to 50%. They said 50%. Huge difference.
And they said 30-50%. This makes the difference in worst-case-scenarios 30%, and in best case scenarios 50%, which is not true.

lol once again you dont' get the fact. They never claimed 50% in every thing did they? Your comprehension skills are fail. Seriously, if you don't like it go sue them then. See what happens in court, the judge will laugh at you and throw out of court. They can claim whatever they want as long as its reasonably true. Like i said if in a benchmark like crysis with PhysX off they get average of 3 FPS and with PhysX on it JUMPS up to 4.5 FPS guess what? Thats a 50% increase. You don't like the fact that they are passing out pamphlets with their lies? Make your own pamphlets and pass them around right next to the guys advertising. Hell like i said, XFX lifetime warranty is awesome and if their performance is just as good as the competitor WHY DO YOU CARE? Are you a tech store that got ran out of business by cairo? Why are you crying like a little girl on OCF? they didn't steal from you, they didn't jack you for all you're worth, they didn't sell you a 9600GSO claiming you'll be able to play Crysis at 1900x1200 with no lag did they?

And they said 30-50%. This makes the difference in worst-case-scenarios 30%, and in best case scenarios 50%, which is not true.

They don't provide enough information for you to call them flat-out liars. What if the benchmark they are running only compares performance in a PhysX task as done without hardware support enabled, and another with. 30-50% performance is certainly possible.

Sorry I was out of line about the crying like a girl comment. Everything else i said i feel is spot on.

Back