• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best DDR2 1066 for the money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Preacher3487

Registered
Just what the title says. What do you all feel is the best deal on a 4gb kit of DDR2 1066 right now? I do medium to heavy gaming. So I want something that will withstand some OC.

Gskills seems very nice. I've seen lots of memory from Gskill that requires only 1.8-1.9V for 1066 at 5-5-5-18 timing. The old Black PI series was like that. Now they all changed to 2.1V for same speed/timing. I would also look at Corsair

Gskills seems very nice. I've seen lots of memory from Gskill that requires only 1.8-1.9V for 1066 at 5-5-5-18 timing. The old Black PI series was like that. Now they all changed to 2.1V for same speed/timing. I would also look at Corsair

I second that.

R7 :beer:

but they are expensive, sometimes twice the price of Corsair and OCZ, OCZ reapers at 1066 can be had for $25.99 after rebate with free shipping on the egg right now.

I think when you get Reapers for $25, if you ever get their rebate, you get just what you pay for. I really would stay away from anything OCZ now, as they're a company just cashing in on their name selling second rate products. I have 5 sets of OCZ ram and only one performs at stock specs.

I think when you get Reapers for $25, if you ever get their rebate, you get just what you pay for. I really would stay away from anything OCZ now, as they're a company just cashing in on their name selling second rate products. I have 5 sets of OCZ ram and only one performs at stock specs.

quite true, I have the reapers 800 and they are severely disappointing as a set of ram. 1000MHz requires timing to be at 5-5-5-20 to actually perform. This is at 2.2V though. I guess it was a decent deal especially for the price i paid. My ram came out to be $20.00 after rebate, their rebates are very slow took nearly 2 months. My next set of ram is most likely either Gskill or Corsairs.

Any of the main brands (corsair, crucial, g.skill, mush) should all do their rated speeds at rated voltages, so go with whatever can do what you need for the least. I have personally used several flavors of g.skill, crucial, and corsair dominator ddr2 sticks and all ran perfectly at rated speeds/voltages.
If you really want to research, certain ram may use different chips that oc higher or handle high voltage oc's better, ect.

Keep in mind if you still use dual channel ddr2 on am2/c2d/Q, that having all 4 memory slots filled at 1066 is very unlikely. Just an architectural limitation of running max speed with all 4 slots populated seems to be the consensus. I was unlucky, need to lower to 800 speed to run all 8gb (but got lower voltage for less heat, and lower timings as nice side effects)

Nice choice, tell me how that works out for you. I'm looking to get some G. Skills right now too, and the price difference between the regular blue ones and the PI series is so negligible that you would be insane not to buy the PI series.

Yep i was between that kit and what i bought.That free shipping made up your mind didnt it?Or you like Silver and blue better?

The free shipping is always an added perk. But, a friend of mine actually told me how well the PI series has been rated. And yes, the silver and blue is very good looking. Will go good in my black TT Armor case with blue LEDs.

Looks good mate. Maybe get 2 sets of them for 8gb? If they wont work at 1066, you can at least undervolt them a bit and run them at super tight timings!

I was gonna get the reaper.I love the heatsinks but ive had 3 sets of OCZ DDR 1066 and all three died within a few weeks of installing them with no overclocking just running at the rated speeds with that chrome OCZ ram cooler

I once had some OCZ Platinum DDR2 that was just awful. It died after 2 months of use. I doubt I will go back to them.

Back