• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2GB's VS 4GB's .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson

OK well I have been tinkering with my ram some , I have 4 sticks of OCZ nVidia SLI ready ram 1066MHz . What I have found is that with all 4 sticks ( 4GB's ) installed my system runs ( In benchmarks ) slower I loose in performance over all why ? I can not seem to over clock this RAM very much at all I can take it to 1080MHz but any thing past it and it fails .
What I have also found is that even with 4GB's ( all 4 slots filled ) of ram the system runs the same as with just 2GB's of ram I find no difference in games boot time only in benchmarks where my computer is faster with 2 GB's and Slower with 4GB's any one know why this is ?

What OS are you running?

With XP you might not notice much difference going from 2Gb to 4Gb, depending on what applications you use.

As far as overclocking, I have used 4 dimms on my P35 board with good results with 4 x 1Gb modules and 4 x 2Gb modules. It's possible those sticks are pretty much maxed out at their stock rating of 1066. Have you tried increasing the northbridge voltage a little bit? That might help since you are putting more stress on the memory controller with 4 dimms.

Can you list your RAM timings as well, including sub timings if possible?

i think the mch timeings slackin up a but when you run all 4 dimms. if you were to run 2x2gb, you would get the performance that you get when you run 2 dimms :thup:

i noticed the same thing on my p5k deluxe, and this board :beer:

i was able to run 475fsb on my quad with all 4 dimms populated, but it had to be at 1:1, not 4:5

The internal northbridge timings are controlled by the FSB strap setting. Haven't heard it has anything to do with running with 4 dimms. If you leave all your memory sub timings set to AUTO, then the bios may be slacking some of them by default.

Well as far as timings go I have them set to 5-5-5-15 the rest is stock settings as well what do I know about setting them ? This OCZ is good RAM just not all that good I think I could have found better RAM for the price I payed . But I can only go 1080 MHz and that is with all 4 ram sticks as well as the 2 I have in now . Just seems a bit strange that it would act like this faster with 2 sticks slower with 4 . Vista Ultimate is the OS BTW 32Bit .

These are the sub timings I am using. Your board might use slightly different names or have more settings. If you decide to mess with the sub timings, it takes a good bit more testing to determine stability, since you are adding more timings to the mix.

I don't like using AUTO settings simply because you have no idea what those settings are being set to, or if the board is changing them around on boot up.

BTW how much performance loss in benchmarks are you talking about?

Attachments

• subtimings.JPG
    subtimings.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
It is not huge but it is some thing noticeable . I went from 8800 MB/s in Everest mem write to 9581 MB/s same is being reported in read / copy and latency all the scores are much higher things like Wprime the score has only went down by .05 sec. so nothing big there . I have tons of ram settings but have no clue what to change so most is left on auto .

Since you have Vista Ultimate, install the x64 version to realize the true benefit of 4GB or more of RAM.

Yeah I am going to do this maybe next week or so but man I have a lot of stuff to back up and I just don't know how well some of my games are going to run on the 64bit side you know my old games Diablo II , home world ....

Back