• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My RAM Query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godzilla

ok my query is this. I have Corsair XM3 (supposedly 1600mhz as it says on the side of the sticks)....now when my bios is set to auto detect the memory, it says dram frequency 1333mhz, so i set it manually to "ddr3-1600mhz".

Now when i open CPU-Z it says my ram is "PC3-10700H 667mhz" (i dont know what the H means).

So if my ram is meant to be rated 1600mhz, shouldn't it say "PC3-12800 800mhz" ??

I better not have been ripped off and got given 1333mhz ram!

i have attached a screenshot below:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 10,052
Last edited:
oh come on! 7 views and no replies? i thought you guys knew it all!:bang head

Now when i open CPU-Z it says my ram is "PC3-10700H 667mhz" (i dont know what the H means). :
hertz (Hz) frequency, a measurement of the number of times that a repeated event occurs per unit of time (also called "cycles per sec.

Could you post a screen shot of your memory from cpu-z.:soda:

Last edited:
hertz (Hz) frequency, a measurement of the number of times that a repeated event occurs per unit of time (also called "cycles per sec.

Could you post a screen shot of your memory from cpu-z.:soda:

Errr that is the screenshot of my memory in the very first post.:rolleyes:

Yeah i saw that.I hope it helped some.Memory can get very confusing

no it didnt help, noone seems to be answering my query in the first post. if my ram is rated 1600mhz then why does cpuz say 1333mhz (667 x 2)?

I can't believe noone here knows!

Last edited:
Sorry but I know with DDR2 it is all DDR2 667 and its just binned to run at the higher speeds.Like DDR2 1066 is just overclocked DDR2 667 that the factory has ran and tested to make sure it can run stably at DDR2 1066 .And im sure its the same with DDR3.

Errr that is the screenshot of my memory in the very first post.:rolleyes:

Im pretty sure he means the memory tab.That shows what speed your ram is currently running at not what it can run.What your showing us is what the spd is programmed to run at

Attachments

• mini-ddr2.jpg
    mini-ddr2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 9,835
Last edited:
ok my query is this. I have Corsair XM3 (supposedly 1600mhz as it says on the side of the sticks)....now when my bios is set to auto detect the memory, it says dram frequency 1333mhz, so i set it manually to "ddr3-1600mhz".

Now when i open CPU-Z it says my ram is "PC3-10700H 667mhz" (i dont know what the H means).

So if my ram is meant to be rated 1600mhz, shouldn't it say "PC3-12800 800mhz" ??

you need to show the memory tab in cpuz to see what your ram is actually running at. My ddr2 1000's show similar in the spd tab. they say ddr2 pc6400 400mhz but are capable of pc8000 500mhz. It has do do with JEDEC specs as yours are rated for higher than current specs.

you need to show the memory tab in cpuz to see what your ram is actually running at. My ddr2 1000's show similar in the spd tab. they say ddr2 pc6400 400mhz but are capable of pc8000 500mhz. It has do do with JEDEC specs as yours are rated for higher than current specs.

as i said in my first post, i changed the frequency to ddr3 1600 in the bios but default was set to 1333.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 9,838

That is 1600Mhz memory, the default for all X58 motherboards is 1333Mhz max (unless it is lower speed than that). You need to manually enter clocks and timings, and CPU-z doesn't recognise higher performance ram very well. It said My 1066Mhz ddr2 was 800Mhz, and 1600Mhz ddr3 was 1333Mhz when I knew otherwise. Looking at your jedec it shows it supports 800Mhz (= 1600Mhz eff.) so that is of course 1600Mhz. You just need to either in BIOS enable the EPP profile if it has it in there, or just set all the timings individually with the speed.

Hope this helps : )

That is 1600Mhz memory, the default for all X58 motherboards is 1333Mhz max (unless it is lower speed than that). You need to manually enter clocks and timings, and CPU-z doesn't recognise higher performance ram very well. It said My 1066Mhz ddr2 was 800Mhz, and 1600Mhz ddr3 was 1333Mhz when I knew otherwise. Looking at your jedec it shows it supports 800Mhz (= 1600Mhz eff.) so that is of course 1600Mhz. You just need to either in BIOS enable the EPP profile if it has it in there, or just set all the timings individually with the speed.

Hope this helps : )

yea thanks, i've set the timings manually to 9-9-9-24 as stated on the side of my ram sticks. Also how much of a difference would it make overclocking the ram further to say 1800mhz or above? would i notice any difference without also overclocking the cpu also?

Another thing, do you think i should get another 6gb kit of the same ram so i have 12gb total and all slots filled? at the moment my ram usage can go up to 50-60% with just the 6gb i have. would it make my comp a bit speedier?

Last edited:
as i said in my first post, i changed the frequency to ddr3 1600 in the bios but default was set to 1333.

Almost all memory that runs higher than JEDEC will default to be with in spec so you can boot to the bios and manually set them. If they didn't your PC wouldn't boot.

Almost all memory that runs higher than JEDEC will default to be with in spec so you can boot to the bios and manually set them. If they didn't your PC wouldn't boot.

That is partially true some older PC's don't have high enough voltage settings for memory and they wont boot overclocked.

JEDEC specifications is a safe reliable standard, running your memory beyond specifications is at your own risk or motherboard manufacture risk.:beer:

"Another thing, do you think i should get another 6gb kit of the same ram so i have 12gb total and all slots filled? at the moment my ram usage can go up to 50-60% with just the 6gb i have. would it make my comp a bit speedier?"

Well if your only using 50%-60% then I think you answered your own question, most importantly are you thrashing your hard drive when accessing the same data all the time.:beer:

Back