• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Placement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Hardware:

Foxconn Mars, EVGA GTX 285.

My system is water cooled. I got my GTX 285 in yesterday and put it in the PCIe slot furthest from the socket since I dont have all my WC parts in but didnt want to wait to play with it. I kept the entire water loop intact but pulled the orig GPU out of the PCIe slot and gently rested it on the PCIe slot plastic cover and insulated with paper towels to make sure no connections are made.

Its only going to stay like this for a few days until I get the rest of my WC gear in, but will there be any negative effects on performance/OCability/temps when putting a GPU in the furthest slot from the socket as opposed to the closest one?

I dont mean negative effects as far as damaging anything, Im more referring to will it perform better/oc better/etc when I put it in the slot closest to the socket?

Hardware:

Foxconn Mars, EVGA GTX 285.

My system is water cooled. I got my GTX 285 in yesterday and put it in the PCIe slot furthest from the socket since I dont have all my WC parts in but didnt want to wait to play with it. I kept the entire water loop intact but pulled the orig GPU out of the PCIe slot and gently rested it on the PCIe slot plastic cover and insulated with paper towels to make sure no connections are made.

Its only going to stay like this for a few days until I get the rest of my WC gear in, but will there be any negative effects on performance/OCability/temps when putting a GPU in the furthest slot from the socket as opposed to the closest one?

I dont mean negative effects as far as damaging anything, Im more referring to will it perform better/oc better/etc when I put it in the slot closest to the socket?

Makes no difference what slot you use.

Back