• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6gb vs 12gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godzilla

How much of a difference would it make overclocking my ram from 1600mhz to say 1800mhz or above? would i notice any difference without overclocking the cpu also?

Another thing, do you think i should get another 6gb kit of the same ram so i have 12gb total and all slots filled? at the moment my ram usage can go up to 50-60% with just the 6gb i have. would it make my comp a bit speedier if i get another 6gb?

I have been trying to justify getting myself 8GB and not really been able aside from caching the entire OS. Going to 12GB, that's about the only argument I can offer you to rationalize it. :)

there are a few programs that would like the higher speed and some that would like the higher capacity. if you dont use them then there is no reason to upgrade.

It all depends what you do. I suspect the money would be better put aside for spending on an SSD.

there are a few programs that would like the higher speed and some that would like the higher capacity. if you dont use them then there is no reason to upgrade.

It all depends what you do. I suspect the money would be better put aside for spending on an SSD.

I agree with both of you.

Since "at the moment my ram usage can go up to 50-60% with just the 6gb i have.", do you think it is necessary to add more RAM? With more RAM, perhaps there would be less data written to the HDD, and more cached in the RAM, thus increasing performance? After all, I think windows will reserve ~40% of the RAM space.

Back