• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (Rev 1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kraven

I'm looking at upgrading my 5000+ BE to one of the new X3 720's and was looking at getting some new RAM while I was at it. Attached is a screenie from Gigabytes website.

My question: If I go with 4x2gb of 1066, will it be able to run in dual channel? Should I instead go with 2x4gb of 1066? Thanks all for the help.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 811
Awe, moved and still no love? Thanks to whomever moved this.

IDK about the "AMD CPU limitation" as I've seen people running 4x1GB of 1066 RAM - but that may be a board dependent thing. I'd stick with whatever the board manufacturer is saying ...

Thanks for the advice QuietIce, I'll see what happens when I get the two sticks of DDR2-800. I think it'd still run in dual channel considering it's 800 and not 1066, we'll see.

Run it in DDR2 800 mode and overclock it from there if you want. Running in DDR2 1066 mode changes the cpu/ram divider from 1:2 to 3:8 - that's the main difference and 1:2 is actually a more favorable ratio. These days the mobos seem to all have asynchronous buses so in 1066 mode you get faster throughput of data but only with regard to the ram. The fsb speed remains the same and so you get hardly any performance advantage. I've done some benching in 800 mode and 1066 mode and there is hardly any difference.

We have that exact motherboard in the family room, all settings=stock. I have tried two different pairs of ram in it and neither would go to dual channel. First was 2x1 GB, second was 2x2 GB. Tried them both in banks 0 & 1; and in banks 0 & 2 with no joy. Both did dual channel in the system in my sig. Caveat emptor.

We have that exact motherboard in the family room, all settings=stock. I have tried two different pairs of ram in it and neither would go to dual channel. First was 2x1 GB, second was 2x2 GB. Tried them both in banks 0 & 1; and in banks 0 & 2 with no joy. Both did dual channel in the system in my sig. Caveat emptor.

I have a GA-MA78G-DS3H that will not run in dual channel either. I've tried Mushkin DDR2 1066 and also Mushkin DDR2 800 borrowed from our other comuputer. Makes no difference. Is not stable in dual channel when doing stress testing under windows but oddly enough it will run Memtest86+ om dia; channel until the cows come home without a problem. This is a mystery to me. Has to be some kind of ram incompatibility with that mobo and I have noted quite a few Gigabyte board owners have dual channel problems as I look at customer reviews and forums. I'm tired of this problem so I've ordered a ASrock mobo. Hope it eliminates the issue.

All very helpful posts, thanks. I'm currently running in dual channel without any problems. I'll be throwing in two more gigs when it gets here and will post up my results after filling the banks.

Back