• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme Cooling Clearups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krow

Registered
Ok, now I've been overclocking my PCs for about 4 years, and I am just curious of why a CPU refuses to boot when running higher than "capable" yet people with Vapochill and LN2 are able to boot achieve extreme clocks. It might just be my luck with the CPUs I get, but I went from watercooling at 4.32GHz, and can't go any higher, even with TEC cooling it below ambient temps. It is one of the older chips E8400 but I'm just wondering what's the limiting factor that seperates booting with 4.3GHz and higher that an LN2 cooler can do.

So your question is: Why can't you hit the same clocks with a tec/watercooling as you could with LN2/DICE?

Well a TEC you might be able to achieve what, im no tec expert but maybe -20C or thereabouts with a good setup? Watercooling you cant even get below ambient.

LN2 boils off at -196 C.
In short the colder electrons get the better they move/flow. There is less jittering etc and everything works better cold in the world of electronics(for the most part there are exceptions.)

So yes your tec can get pretty cold but not cold enough to allow a cpu to operate like ln2 can allow it to operate.

what's the limiting factor...

Temperature. That added to the ability to run much higher voltages under LN2 make it impossible to match with any other cooling. Temperature is the reason LN2 (-100° and below) performs better than DI (around -65° with average containers).

Back