• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People sell pennies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was under the impression that selling U.S. currency is illegal...

Scraping the copper off of pennies is, but as 'collectibles' I don't think so.

Plus the price of copper has gone down a decent amount where scrapping copper isn't a quick way to get some cash...

This is what I thought as well... especially since it's a new member. He's probably padding his feedback so he can scam some people.

Simple thing Ebay can do to stop this: next to someone's feedback number and link, include the average selling price of the auctions they have gotten feedback on. Don't 'buy' a $1000 item from a newish member with 200 $.01 sales.

This listing (270366116033) has been removed or is no longer available.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Certain wheat pennies are worth a lot of money to coin collectors, some rare ones are valued in the several thousand dollar range.

I have one of those, also a copper 1943 penny is very rare as well. It is said to be worth $10,000+.

my girlfriend has a few steel pennys and alot of other old coins, both silver and gold and i do mean alot, and she is always looking out for the 43 copper penny :)

Listing is removed, but selling pennies (and other coins) is very legitimate. There's large coin collecting hobby in the US.

yea WWII steel pennies are very rare and worth some $$.

1943 is semi-rare (as with most wheat pennies), but not worth particularly much (there's still a decently large volume, if you're lucky you can still find them in circulation).

A 1943 copper penny (or even better - 1944 steel penny) though . . . that's worth something (monetarily and historically). If you find/have one, you should seriously get it graded . . . or better yet, just send it to me. ;)
Be the center piece of my collection.

my girlfriend has a few steel pennys and alot of other old coins, both silver and gold and i do mean alot, and she is always looking out for the 43 copper penny :)

Something like these?

pennies.jpg

That's just my desk and my pennies and my Canon :) I may be poor, but at least I'm not penniless :)

One of my favorite Lincoln cents. Happens to be a 1909-sDBV. It is in great shape. Besides the normal patina, it only has one scratch. That is visible only under magnification. It is not as perfect as uncirculated, but is really a nice looking 100 year old cent coin.

Most of the other 1930-40's Wheat back pennies I have. Though in really good shape are about face value. Since billion were made each year..

I got few rare coins in my bank safe deposit box. I used to have a fetish for sparkly old gold coins. One is a late 1800's California $10 gold coin. At once point I was really wanting a full set with the fractional coins.

Back