• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte ep45 ud3p Rev 1.0 + ramslot problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Belenusuo

Hello there, long time lurker first time poster ;)

I recently got the above mentioned mainboard together with some Corsair Ram (namely 2 2gb sticks of : corsair ddr2 1066 twin2x4096-8500C5 xms2) and I've got a bit of a problem. I hope you can help me out on this one.
Inserting the ram in bank 1 + 3 (like the handbook suggests) results in several bluescreens but when I put the sticks in bank 2 + 4 everything works perfectly. Now my questions is: Is the ram faulty ? Bad Motherboard ? Bad Ram <-> Motherboard combination ?
I still have a few days left to return either the ram or motherboard, do you think I should or is it entirely possible that 2 new sticks would work well in bank's 1+3 when I decide to upgrade the ram.

PS: fsb is overclocked to ~460

First of all :welcome: to the forums! You'll find a lot of great information here.

First thing to make sure is that your RAM is running 1:1 with fsb and at stock timings so that we can rule that out as the cause of instability. Beyond that, chances are the problem lies in your motherboard if the RAM works in one pair of the slots. Just to be sure though, you should download Memtest86+ and run it with the RAM in the working slots. I'd say run it overnight at the least. If it doesn't find any errors in 8-12 hours of running, I'd say it's a safe bet that you're RAM is fine. At that point, you have to decide whether or not it's worth your time to RMA the motherboard. If you don't plan on ever using all 4 RAM slots, you might save yourself the hassle of returning it. If you don't find yourself needing more than 4Gb of RAM now, you probably won't during the lifespan of this particular rig. In that case, I personally would just use slots 2 and 4 and be satisfied that I saved myself the extra work.

Back