• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 and P5B Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Just installed my E8400 and was having alot of strange problems even after updating the BIOS. After downclocking my FSB to 266x9 (2.4GHz) and manually setting the memory to 800mhz it runs just fine but I am dissapointed since the cpu i replaced was an E6600 running at 2.4! :bang head

This a reply from another forum from one of the users:

"OP, what motherboard do you have...? maybe the FSB is only 1066 for your motherboard so the cpu is clocked down to 2.4ghz, it may also only support up to 667mhz DDR2 so the memory may be clocked down as well... an E8400 at stock speeds (3.0ghz) usually runs at 333mhz quad pumped for a 1333mhz FSB, if the FSB is limited to 1066mhz it'll run 266mhz instead of 333mhz, add the 9x (266) multiplier and that's 2.4ghz..."

This was supposed to be a simple upgrade now am I looking at having to upgrade my mobo to get the full speed?

The right BIOS may help. Some people are getting 500mhz on that board.

Even though I tried 2 more BIOS's, I didn't have a lot of luck with my P5BD and E8400. The same E8400 and RAM on a Gigabyte board overclocked effortlessly.

I noted in my OP that I have updated the BIOS and the computer went beserk just trying to boot with the stock settings so I had to lower them.

sounds like your mobo is fubard or you dont have the correct bios that supports wolfy's

Well the Asus site specifically lists the E8400 as supported. Besides I don't think the computer would boot if it didnt support it the problem is it is just handicapped.

no something isnt wrong with the board, i would try a reflash of the bios. p965 got 1333fsb support when the E6x50's came out. that was long before 45nm 1333fsb cpus...if after the reflash doesnt work do a deep cmos clear....

same problem...

For those who had success in overclocking there e8400 on P5b-D, can you please post which bios version you used and your settings in manual overclocking? I just got a E8400 and I am having trouble.

E8400 runs fine at 2.4ghz, but at 3ghz windows will eventully lock up. Also I have 4x1gb HyperX 1066.

thanks!

For those who had success in overclocking there e8400 on P5b-D, can you please post which bios version you used and your settings in manual overclocking? I just got a E8400 and I am having trouble.

E8400 runs fine at 2.4ghz, but at 3ghz windows will eventully lock up. Also I have 4x1gb HyperX 1066.

thanks!

Try it on 2 stick, I have been going through the same problems and it has been because of the amount memory installed. With only 2 stick I was able to get 3.7GHz but with 4 stick I had to bump the voltage to 2.0v just to boot at stock speed of 3GHz.

Well the Asus site specifically lists the E8400 as supported. Besides I don't think the computer would boot if it didnt support it the problem is it is just handicapped.
Which stepping?
Both C0 and E0?
Some motherboard BIOS versions support only the C0 Wolfdales.

The BIOS list I just looked at indicated that there are versions that support both E0 and C0 steppings but they are BETA so that means that nothing is etched in stone.
ABIT had this happen with their IP35 Series and the E0 Stepping WOLFDALE. There could be identical boards with the identical E0 BIOS yet one could run an E8400/8500 E0 and one could not. Then, of the ones that could run them, some could run them well and some could not.
I think that EVIL mentioned something about a reflash. That might be worth a try. If it still misbehaves after that, then it's possible that it's just not meant to be.

Specs:

E8400 OE
1gb x 2 HyperX 8500
P5B-Deluxe wi-fi
9800GTX+
150gb WD RaptorX
500gb WD
750 watt

Back