• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-EX58-UD5 Northbridge running too hot 60C+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djre4orm

Hey everyone, although this is my first post, I promised I searched with no avail.

I just built a new PC

i7 920
GA-EX58-UD5
Koolance CPU-350
OCZ3P1600LV6GK
MSI GTX260 216 OC
Lian-Li V2100

Today I just got it stable at 4Ghz!!! :D

But anyway, even with the stock clock and mild overclocking (just upping the bclk) the Northbridge ran pretty hot. So much so I have been keeping the side of the case off. With the case open it stays around 50C... I thought that was pretty hot . In the EasyTune it was over the default alarm setting and most other screen shots I have seen online. I did some research and read these newer chips can stand the heat?!? I guess I am use to the 6 year old Athlon XPs :) So I kept pushing forward with the overclock. At 4Ghz it stays around 55C with the case open and just leaning the case door over the side of it brought the temps up over 60C which started the red NB LED blinking.

How safe is this for the chip? At what temp should I be worried? I was originally going to go with the Extreme board and add the NB into my loop. What swayed me: hearing the waterblock was so-so, the 3/8 fittings it came with, and people saying the X58 chip doesn't get too hot.

I keep browsing the web for a NB waterblock. This new all aluminum water cooling setup I built has been super efficient in keeping the CPU temps below 30C and I want to push my OC higher without having a meltdown. I even fear for my video card being so close to the NB... maybe because its the OC model but its even very hot to the touch.

TIA,
Chris

Back