• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CompUSA 500 watt PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
I was just at cpusa, and saw that they had a 500 watt for 79.99, same price as the 400 watt... Seemed pretty heavy, and had two fans, didn't look anything like their other cheapies... that is so much to spare, I was almost tempted...

The 400 Antec is $20 more there.

there are some Powmax PSUs(they are really another brand, but I forgot which) 500W floating around that have to be better. If that PSU has FMI on it, it belongs in the garbage.

William said:
there are some Powmax PSUs(they are really another brand, but I forgot which) 500W floating around that have to be better. If that PSU has FMI on it, it belongs in the garbage.

I think that this one actually looks like a Powmax....it has the second fan on the outside of the psu, screwed right in the back.

I bought a case from ability wholesale.com last week, they are right up the street from me, but anyways I wanted the 400 watt model of the case and they were sold out so I told them I wanted the 500 watt which was about $45 more and they didnt even charge me for it!I dont know if it was an accident or what but its the leadman powmax 500 and Im loving it.My 5v barely even drops under the heaviest load I throw at it.I noticed they quit selling them on their website so they might have been clearing them out.As much money as I have spent at the place I think they owed it to me anyway;)

FMI?

hey. i hate to sound ignorant but what does FMI stand for? why should i avoid it when looking at power supplies? thanks.

Ready for this? Fujitsu Microelectronics Inc. I use to respect Fujitsu until I saw one of those power supplies. :D

Hoot

I opened a box for one of their 400W units at Comp-USA so I could read the spec sheet. The combined power for the +5V & +3.3V was barely better than an Antec 300W. That combined power spec really tells it all about a PSU. That's where you really need the power to be. Most PSUs of 350W or more have more than enough +12V for the average overclocker, yet people often pay more attention to that spec than the combined power.

Just my opinion...

Hoot

I did a little more research into the Powmax 500W PSU. The combined output of the +3.3V and the +5V is 180W. By comparison, the Antec PP-412 combined output is 245W. Also, the PP-412 now has a fan tachometer cable so you can monitor the PSU fan speed. Nice plus if you are running MBM and ShutdownNow. You can shutdown your PC if the PSU fan fails and you're not around. NewEgg has the PP-412 for $80 shipped. That's the same price as CompUSA gets for the Powmax 500.

The Antec PP-412 from NewEgg is a "Hoots Pick".

Hoot

I have to strongly agree with Hoot on the Antec PSU's. I have 2 of the 400watters in serious AMD systems and they take the abuse and deliver the goods! Do yourself a favor and get a good PSU it is just 1 less thing to worry about and 1 less possible setback when you go for a nice fat OC :D

Hoot said:
I did a little more research into the Powmax 500W PSU. The combined output of the +3.3V and the +5V is 180W. By comparison, the Antec PP-412 combined output is 245W. Also, the PP-412 now has a fan tachometer cable so you can monitor the PSU fan speed. Nice plus if you are running MBM and ShutdownNow. You can shutdown your PC if the PSU fan fails and you're not around. NewEgg has the PP-412 for $80 shipped. That's the same price as CompUSA gets for the Powmax 500.

The Antec PP-412 from NewEgg is a "Hoots Pick".

Hoot
I read at a couple places that 180w combined is a misprint on the psu and manual,If you look at there website the combined power is 250w,There are 50 amps on the 5v volt line alone.With all the stuff I have hooked up to mine Im really suprised the numbers stay as high as they do.I can start folding or gaming and my 5v only drops to 4.96.I thought this psu would be so-so but Im really happy with it,They were only $60 when they sold them at the place I got mine.

I scoured the leadman.com.tw Web site and their products page is under construction. The USA site, asound.net, does say the combined +3.3V & 5V output for the PSLP6100E is 250W, so I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. It also says the +5V output is only 40A, not 50A. The specs and features are surprisingly almost identical to the Antec PP-412. So, if you want to buy local and you can get the PSLP6100E for less than the PP-412, by all means go for it. On Pricewatch, it averages about $10 less than the PP-412. There's a CompUSA just down the road from where I work. I may just stop in and see if they have one.
The Future Power (P.O.S.) 400W PSU that I have for a backup has been a disappointment (no surprise). :D

Hoot

I shopped around and the Comp USA p/s was actually a great buy.

What is criticle is the amps on the 5v line and it outputs 40a

Look at my sig I have checked this supply several times and the 5v line has never dropped below 5.21.And if any one needs juce it is my system,this box encodes video a lot and I game at the same time as I encode.So I am sold on it and can honestly say never have I had a more stable 5v line.

my friend got that power supply he's running a Compusa Soyo P4 SDRAM board and a 2.0Ghz Northwood, seems to be running good.. should i tell him to look for FMI and return it? :D

Hoot said:
Ready for this? Fujitsu Microelectronics Inc. I use to respect Fujitsu until I saw one of those power supplies. :D

Hoot

Oh so thats what it stands for?? heheh google did not give me that when I seached that up... But anyway I don't really buy FMI stuff... Only thing I got was a Network card which I took out and put in a Linksys LNE 100TX.. I'm sure the FMI would of did fine but I wanted something that was well known...So to speak..and did not use a Realtek chip..

Back