• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot DDR2 800MHz limiting my overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dannyt028

Registered
So, My friend is trying to overclock my computer faster then 3.2 and says I need better ram. The ram I have now is Patriot DDR2 800 and I need your help buying some new ram for overclocking the processor more. Ill only need 2 gigs since I'm running windows Xp 32. Or should i get 4 with win xp? So basicly my question is Do you think its my ram that is limiting me and what ram should I get to replace it with?

With your current FSB at 400MHz, using the default multiplier of x8.0, the RAM is currently running at it's rated frequency of 800MHz (using a 1:1 ratio; 333/667 NB strap). Assuming the default timings are 4-4-4-12 at 2.2 Vdimm, those Patriot's should easily do 5-5-5-12 (or tRAS of 15) at over 900MHz... possibly even +1000MHz w/ 2.2v.

With your current FSB at 400MHz, using the default multiplier of x8.0, the RAM is currently running at it's rated frequency of 800MHz

That's assuming the memory is set to run 1:1. If it's on the 800mhz/6:5 setting rather than 667/1:1, it could potentially be running at 960mhz. Also, doesn't that board have the option to unlink the FSB and memory speed, where it can set the memory to a divider nearest a certain desired speed?

Can you post the specific model number of those Patriots?
PDC22G6400LLK
That's assuming the memory is set to run 1:1. If it's on the 800mhz/6:5 setting rather than 667/1:1, it could potentially be running at 960mhz. Also, doesn't that board have the option to unlink the FSB and memory speed, where it can set the memory to a divider nearest a certain desired speed?

yea my friend said something about separating them. If you guys have not figured this out yet I'm no good with computer stuff like this. Thanks a lot for all your help

also my bud was complaining about the board rated for low voltage and the ram needs high or something

Hey Guys, Im Danny's buddy who is attempting the overclock. I am by ever sense of the word a novice when it comes to overclocking but have done a good amount of research into trying to help Dan out. Old T, you are correct, the motherboard does allow you to unlink the FSb and memory speed. As of now I have the memory unlinked running 800mhz, and have the ram settings set to optimal (which has them at 5-5-5-16 I believe). I was under the impression that if I left the memory alone and kept it at stock setting or even below stock setting I could focus on just getting the Processor to overclock, although this may not be correct.

With that said, my question is this: Can you unlink the memory and the FSb and only overclock the processor to your desired speed?

Thanks

I'm stepping out on a limb here since I have not owned an intel cpu since the 8086-8088 days but if it works like current AMD CPUs you can raise the cpu speed apart from other subsystems only if you have a cpu with an unlocked multiplier. With AMD CPUs the ones with unlocked multipliers are called "black edition". I think on the Intel side they are called the "Extreme Edition" and they go for about $1000. Assuming you don't have that kind and my other assumptions are correct then you can only raise the CPU speed by increasing the FSB. HOWEVER, what you can do is lower the ram speed from 800 (400x2) to 666 (333x2) to create more over clocking headroom for the memory which would allow you to pump up the FSB some more and speed the processor up. Relaxing the memory timings may also need to be done to work with this. I should also add that I have read in many places that slowing the memory speed down on Intel-based systems doesn't have as much negative impact on performance as it does with AMD systems. I assume this is because The Intel CPUs have so much on-die cache that they don't rely on RAM as much.

Last edited:
Can you unlink the memory and the FSb and only overclock the processor to your desired speed?

That's the general idea. I don't know how much leeway you'll have with the RAM speed, depending on what dividers are available you may end up either overclocking or underclocking the RAM a bit, but you should be able to max out that chip anyway.

If you really want to get the most out of the system, though, you'll really need to learn your way around the other settings in the BIOS, and manually tweak the RAM. The "Optimal" and "Performance" sort of auto settings usually don't do as well as working things out on your own. Here's a good guide that'll help clear things up.

So, My friend is trying to overclock my computer faster then 3.2 and says I need better ram. The ram I have now is Patriot DDR2 800 and I need your help buying some new ram for overclocking the processor more. Ill only need 2 gigs since I'm running windows Xp 32. Or should i get 4 with win xp? So basicly my question is Do you think its my ram that is limiting me and what ram should I get to replace it with?
Most E6750s will run 3.4-3.6 with 1.40v Vcore or less. As long as the CPU cooling is adequate.
Are you using enough Vcore? IIRC, VID for most E6750s is 1.35v so it should be at least that. A bump or two above VID normally works.
Disable the CPU SPREAD SPECTRUM if you have that feature.
Set the memory timings to 5-5-5-15 with a Refresh Cycle (tRFC) of 42 if they are 1GB modules. 52 if 2GB modules. Use the specified voltage on the hologram sticker.
Set the DRAM Timing Selectable to the ratio that equates to 800 with a 400FSB.
Try 1.4v NB/MCH.
Patriot DDR2 800/4 normally comes with some good ICs so you should be able to boost those up once you get your CPU OC squared away work on that first.
Watch those temps when you are running PRIME!
Report back.

Back