• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-EX58-UD3R OC Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsetsefly

Could use some advice for my configuration to get to my next step -> 3.6Ghz

Setup
=======
GA-EX58-UD3R
Bios:F3
CPU: i7 920
ZALMAN CNPS 9700
Memory: Kingston (KVR1333D3K3/6GR), 1.5V, Cas Latency 9, DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
LianLi PC-K7B
Windows 7 - 7057
Temps: External Ambient: Idle-- MB:40, CPU:41, NB:57, GPU:47

Currently running at Bios defaults with these changes (stable):
BCLK: 160
CPU VCore: 1.23
CPU Clk Ratio: x20
for 3.2Ghz
=========

Would like to try for 3.6Ghz but have not had luck just changing bus and multiplier. Looking for more advice on other changes needed.

Here are some changes I have tried"
BClk to 180 (x20) @Vcore 1.23 -> Blue screens shortly after entering windows
BClk to 180 (x20) @Vcore 1.275 -> as soon as start linx it blue screens

Couple bonus questions:
1) EasyTune 6 can set the CPU fan speed threashold, if I don't run EasyTune and let the Bios control SMART Fan, what does it use as Fan%/Temp settings ? Can these be changed/reset once and remembered without having Easytune running ?

2) What are some NorthBridge Cooling options, seems hot, understand it can withstand some high temps, but is there a fan option which works well on that heat sink ?

Thanks!

"t" Suggest you disable in bios: overclock protection if present, turn off turbo, EHIST (speed stepping) ease the core voltage and PLL voltage up about .06 to .08 then eas the BCLCK up to 166 and boot. if successful come up with the clock one tick at a time until it wont boot and see where you end up then increase the voltage a little and try again. I stopped at 170 for the time being and am 24/7 game stable at 3.4 ghz which is .2ghz faster than the $1000.00 chip and quite satisfying. I will go further in the future but take it slow and a little at a time....

BTW from what I have read here the mobo you have seem to OC the best out of the bunch.

Last edited:
:welcome: to the forums. Try to up your vcore (cpu voltage) to about 1.4v. Yes, it is safe as I run mine at 1.45v and would go to about 1.55v if it wasn't stable at my clocks. Then set your QPI/VTT voltage to 1.35v in the bios. Memory should go to 1.64 or 1.66v because our board is stupid and doesnt have 1.65v as an option. And lastly on the voltages go with IOH at 1.20v. that should get you to where all you have to worry about for abit is raising your bclk and stressing it to find failure. Also, my chip hates the x20 multi and I have to run it at x19, but no fear, your bclk should go to at least 200 and that right there is 3.8ghz.

Next we move onto removing all the intel speed throttling safeguards (EIST/C1E). Also turn off HTT for now (unless you are video editor or do alot of multi threaded encoding of any kind), and turn on LLC (load line calibration).

Take your memory and drop the memory multi to x6 for now to make sure that your memory is not the thing that will hold you back at higher bclks.

After these steps, we are reay to tweak your bclk. Fairly small incremental increases are the way to go while testing with stability with prime95 sm fft stress test in between increases. It takes awhile to get a system stable and isnt a 5min thing so be committed and take your time doing right the first time (I learned my lesson trust me lol). Make sure you are monitoring the temps with realtemp and make sure you stay around 70c for 24/7 usage (that's just my $.02 though as I am a poor and cant afford to replace my new systems when I get them lol).

If there are any other questions, we will be glad to try to help you out.

EDIT: If you go into the bios and disable the smart fan control, your cpu fan will run at 100%, this is how I have it set and it isn't loud at all.

Back