• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte P45 boards and S3 sleep. My findings, your thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sunburn74

I'm curious to see if anyone here has had problems with S3 sleep and a gigabyte board (most likely a p45) and successfully solved it.

Essentially what happens is it sleeps, but can't wake up. Instead it goes into an endless boot cycle where it tries to boot, fails, pauses, then retries to boot, fails and so on.

Previously on my board if I oced even 1 mhz, s3 sleep would not work. So i contacted gigabyte and contacted microsoft. you can guess which one took the time to appropriately talk to me: microsoft. All the gigabyte tech said was "if you overclock, nothing is guaranteed on our board" which annoyed me because I actually wasn't trying to overclock and was having sleep problems at default settings with the latest bios updates. (I honestly will never buy another gigabyte board again actually for this reason, the failure of S3 sleep and the fact they flat out don't care)

The microsoft tech gave some vista pointers concering improving vista sleep and lo and behold I could oc up to 410 fsb with sleep intact. However, at 411 and up the sleep function failed. Increases in voltage anywhere did not seem to make a difference. (Those vista tweaks involved telling vista to sleep when playing/sharing media, and telling vista to not try to sleep the ethernet but instead to keep it always on if you're curious. Contact me if you want to see his exact words)

Then things got interesting. i found that if I drop the multiplier to 6x, i could oc up to 443 mhz, seeming to imply the problem was on the chip side of things and not the board. I found that at 8 x 443, i could still sleep, but one mhz above that and sleep would fail. However, 9x 443 failed. At 9x, I could only oc up to 410 fsb.

I'm not sure what's going on with gigabyte p45 boards and I think gigabyte has done a lousy job in supporting their own product. I don't think the issue is ram compatibility as my findings seem to show. In fact, I also tested grossly adjusting the ram, making the timings super tight or super loose and it didn't affect sleep. MCH voltages and ram voltages didn't improve or worsen sleep function either. I think the problem may be the board doesn't have enough voltage on the chip rail to wake an oced chip past a certain point. Other than that I don't know... or maybe its relagated to just primarily Vista, or just linux, etc

Anyway, I'd like to start a thread to solve this once. If you have a p45 thats oced and you can still s3 sleep your computer, please give your thoughts or at least just state your OS, board and ram (still a prevailing theory so I'd like to look into it). Any sort of information given would be useful information. Thanks.

S3 issues

Hi,

I am having odd S3 issues with my bloodrage.

When I use a memory bus multiplier of x10 or higher, S3 always fails the SECOND time I wake the computer. Debug code cycles and computer fails to wake up. By adjusting FSBUS I have tested x10 at all frequencies, even very low ones and the issue always remains. x8 everything fine, x10 issue. Even driving memory freq to the same speeds using FSBUS is fine, just when I increase memory bus freq!! Bizarre, from what I have read, i7x58 architecture has all sorts of of strange issues with S3 when OC'ing apparantly. Sorry not much help, but I guess we can console each other. I am interested to hear what Microsoft did to help you improve your S3 issues?

Back