• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hosting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im very bias regarding webhosting due to my employment as such its not correct for me to make a statement other than I would suggest that having a look on the following forum, its owned by the people who support ocforums and is a great resource.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

I'm reading the site you suggested, a lot of good folks. I will probably read it the next few days, after reading a few of the post the last thing I want to do is rush to judgment and get myself into another bad situation.

I do know I would like a host with cpanel though, I've used that before, very user friendly. Also probably start out with shared hosting plan.

+1 on that forum. That's how I found the VPS host I've been using happily (mostly) for the last 4 years - PowerVPS.

I can't say I've ever been terribly pleased with any shared hosting company. However, I can tell you from personal experience that iPowerweb is one of the worst.

Seems everyone says to avoid host that offer "unlimited" this or that, which I understand there is no truth to it, BUT....it seems like all host are pushing that service, lol...kind of makes it a no win situation, although my current host (godaddy) isn't like that, but I'm just not happy with the godaddy service.

So I keep looking for now.

I want vps service, but for now I want to keep shared, don't want to get more than I need and it (my website) not workout. Start off small then upgrade if all goes well, that's my plan.

hostgator.com, great service, fantastic uptime, fast, and cheap.
$9.95/month for unlimited bw on linux shared hosting.

Been a customer for over a year there, no complaints.
They even take PayPal.

Edit

Haven't had any problems with the unlimited thing, seems legit.

hostgator.com, great service, fantastic uptime, fast, and cheap.

I haven't read a lot of good things about them lately. Just don't want to chance it. A lot of people say they will just drop your service if you accidentally go over your limit, not very reassuring to me.

WHT:
Shared Hosting Offers
VPS Hosting Offers

Lots of sales and discount codes advertised. If you decide you want a VPS, I'd recommend Tektonic. I've had a server with Tektonic since May 2008 with no problems, other than SBC/AT&T screwing with their network and breaking routing for me to connect to the Tektonic server for several weeks.

Despite the lack of intelligence for 1&1 staff, 1and1 has actually been pretty decent with hosting. I did experience downtime back in 2007 for like 2 days, they took off a month's payment however to make up for it.... So overall I'm satisfied. I've noticed no downtime with 1and1 ever since, and download speeds are in the 1.1Mb/s range.

I've been scouting new options for hosting if I ever decide to make the switch and my options right now are between HostGator.com, and UbiquityHosting.com (Darkstarllc.com sister company).

My team is sponsored by Darkstar Communications so when I went to look for what hosting they used for web servers, they actually have their own. I've tested download speeds from locations around the US and must say I am rather impressed from nearly ALL their server locations compared to HostGator, 1and1, Bluehost, Dreamhost, Influx, and several other companies.

WHT:
Shared Hosting Offers
VPS Hosting Offers

Lots of sales and discount codes advertised. If you decide you want a VPS, I'd recommend Tektonic. I've had a server with Tektonic since May 2008 with no problems, other than SBC/AT&T screwing with their network and breaking routing for me to connect to the Tektonic server for several weeks.

Ya I've read WHT the last few days, but it seems kind of biased in a way, anyone can promote their hosting business. And although I would like to find a great deal, reliability/customer support is first for me.

I will also keep Tektonic in mind if I do move up to VPS, which I plan to do, I just want to make sure my original site takes off first.

I've been scouting new options for hosting if I ever decide to make the switch and my options right now are between HostGator.com, and UbiquityHosting.com (Darkstarllc.com sister company).

I really like what I've read so far on UbiquityHosting.com (although the girl on their front page is kinda scary, lol), I've done some review searching and googles on them, so far not to bad. They have everything I want, I'm gonna read up on them a little more and go from there.

As for Hostgator, I'm still reserved on them, probably will pass on that one, reasons stated above.

One of the other reasons I am liking Ubiquity is because there IS a visible limit on things. Just honestly, I don't have too much faith in "unlimited". Not downing HostGator, because they have some rather great and amazing reviews, the word unlimited just brings up so many questions about "how unlimited is unlimited".

Why would you call support when you don't even have a server yet? That would just waste time they might be spending on supporting paying clients. That's plain rude. Contact sales.

Why would you call support when you don't even have a server yet? That would just waste time they might be spending on supporting paying clients. That's plain rude. Contact sales.

Lol, so if I "was" a paying customer what would I do if I couldn't get tech support on the phone? Checking response times makes sense, its called customer service, rude or not.

Oh, and sales is closed on the weekend. Thanks.

Back