• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

965P-S3, is it dead???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phil178821

So I just got back from class, went to turn on my computer and it locks up in bios. When i first turned it on, it started up and restarted, like it normally does if it can't handle the overclock. So, after it reset the OC, (which is odd, but not uncommon with this finicky board) it gets to the bios, list my cpu speed and right as it begins to register the ram, it locks.

it will normally read out something like this:

Memory XXXX MBs

now it only gets to: Memor

then freezes.

I have reset the cmos by shorting the two prongs, without success. I have taken out my ram and tried booting with only one module, without success. As well, I have tried one of the other three modules, and also in different dimm slots. Again, without any success.

Right now I have the cmos battery out and I am just letting it sit.

I dont have any other ram to test or another board to try my ram in since I am at school.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks,
Phil

so the cmos battery was out for about 30 minutes.

when i replaced it and tried again, i was able to get "Memory" spelled out, but it froze again.

now its back to "memor"

damn..

so I went to class again and came back:

i powered it on and its froze back at "Memor"

I then let the computer sit at the screen and after about 30 seconds, it booted up. There were times earlier where I let the computer sit at that screen for 10+ minutes and nothing happened.

anyways, after backing up my files, i decided to restart and this time it freezes without even listing the cpu (the step before reading the mem)

this is screwy

Back