• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 vs 5:6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ibitato

Ok

At FSB 450x8, stable like rock.

What is better performance overall?

DDR2 1081 5.5.5.15 5:6 2.19v
DDR2 900 5.5.5.15 1:1 2.19v

No chance I could lower to CAS 4 al 900.

So 1:1 or 5:6 and why????

i've read so many things..........

Since the timings are the same and the RAM is running faster with the 5:6 ratio, it should theoretically be faster. There can be some exceptions where a motherboard doesn't like running certain ratios, but you can test for it.

Run a program like Sandra to compare.

Since the timings are the same and the RAM is running faster with the 5:6 ratio, it should theoretically be faster. There can be some exceptions where a motherboard doesn't like running certain ratios, but you can test for it.

Run a program like Sandra to compare.

ratios are fine, my mobo is pretty stable.
The thing is , my RAM is 800 4.4.4.12 2.0v default (geIL Balck Dragon Series EVE One with heat sink). I've read ppl running at CAS 4 but I cannot make it. The far I got is FSB 420 4.4.4.12

also, ppl recommend tRD 6 for my config , CAS 4, but I find that 5 (only) works with CAS 5, nothing else.
Could it be the volts??

ratios are fine, my mobo is pretty stable.
Well, the "issue" with the ratios won't cause instability, it usually just runs slower than normal. That is why I suggested testing just in case.

The thing is , my RAM is 800 4.4.4.12 2.0v default (geIL Balck Dragon Series EVE One with heat sink). I've read ppl running at CAS 4 but I cannot make it. The far I got is FSB 420 4.4.4.12
I'm confused by your comment here. "DDR2 800" with a ratio of 1:1 would need 400 fsb. Since you say "420" for the FSB, that would be 840 DDR2 speed, so you are actually running it faster than stock...

Well, the "issue" with the ratios won't cause instability, it usually just runs slower than normal. That is why I suggested testing just in case.

I'm confused by your comment here. "DDR2 800" with a ratio of 1:1 would need 400 fsb. Since you say "420" for the FSB, that would be 840 DDR2 speed, so you are actually running it faster than stock...

sorry, what I ment is that up to 420 (aka 840) I could keep 4.4.4.12

/edit
downloading sandra.....

Sandra is giving me better mem bandwith at 1080 and 900

Should I run any other test with sandra?

Should I try ddr2-1200 or its just me going stupid ??

Absolutely. Try everything and measure when you get there. The worst that will happen is BSOD/reset.

hmmmm. my ram just wouldnt take it, I did not even get to a BSOD
:)
I think the ram won't go that far ........

Sandra is giving me better mem bandwith at 1080 and 900

Should I run any other test with sandra?

Of course that's a big part of overclocking, running tests to verify stability and performance. Try Everest Cache & Memory benchmark, Super Pi 32M & 3DMark 06 CPU test.

Back