• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory change advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

So I have been using my OCZ ram for quite some time now and once in awhile I get blue screen errors (not too often) but never thought much of it. Now that I have put in my E8400 I cannot even get it to run at the spec speed of 3GHz on my P5B Deluxe even though BIOS is up to date. I have to lower the FSB to 266 for the PC to work.

See this thread for problem I am having: http://http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=600713

So it seems more and more likely my memory is the problem as there have been other complaints about OCZ modules having problems with my mobo as well. I need a good reccomendation of what to replace it with. Memory is cheap now so I figure I will do it if necessary.

So I have been using my OCZ ram for quite some time now and once in awhile I get blue screen errors (not too often) but never thought much of it. Now that I have put in my E8400 I cannot even get it to run at the spec speed of 3GHz on my P5B Deluxe even though BIOS is up to date. I have to lower the FSB to 266 for the PC to work.

See this thread for problem I am having: http://http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=600713

So it seems more and more likely my memory is the problem as there have been other complaints about OCZ modules having problems with my mobo as well. I need a good reccomendation of what to replace it with. Memory is cheap now so I figure I will do it if necessary.
E0 or C0 Stepping?
I see a 1226 and a 1236 version on the P5BD support list and they are both BETA.
Could be you are using the wrong BIOS, or something is out of kilter in the BIOS.

E0 or C0 Stepping?
I see a 1226 and a 1236 version on the P5BD support list and they are both BETA.
Could be you are using the wrong BIOS, or something is out of kilter in the BIOS.

E0 stepping. All the BIOS updates seem to say beta next to them. I am using 1238 which is the most up to date as of 2/11/2009 so it should be fine. I have tried upping the fsb to 333 (which is what it should be at) and lowered the RAM speed from 800 to 667MHz and still the computer gives me a Overclocking failed message even though I am just trying to run the stock speed of the cpu.

E0 stepping. All the BIOS updates seem to say beta next to them. I am using 1238 which is the most up to date as of 2/11/2009 so it should be fine. I have tried upping the fsb to 333 (which is what it should be at) and lowered the RAM speed from 800 to 667MHz and still the computer gives me a Overclocking failed message even though I am just trying to run the stock speed of the cpu.
CLEAR CMOS and use one stick.
Boot up and LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS.
See what happens then.
Report back to us.

UPDATE

So I decided to remove 3 of the 4 sticks of memory (1GB each) then cranked the fsb up to 333 and set the memory to 667MHz to be safe and voila it booted up just fine.

cpuzpxl.jpg

I also tried bumping the memory up to 886MHz and it worked as well so it seems that one (or more) of the sticks is holding me back. I am not sure if I should get new memory or just stay with 2GB since I'm sure at least one more of the 3 works. :confused:

Test all four like that, if they're good you know the problem is not the memory. I suspect the real problem is trying to run 4 x 1GB on that board, it just isn't that capable.

Not without some mega voltage to the NB anyway.

The guy helping me on the ASUS forums mentioned the same thing..

I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with any of the memory modules. It's common that 4 modules demand more voltage.

Suggestions:
- Try with setting NB Vcore to 1.45V - but not more (Auto is 1.25V)
- If that isn't enough, set Memory Voltage 0.05-0.10V higher than spec (1.9V if standard voltage 1.8V)

Maybe one or both those settings. If no success, revert to Auto settings

yea that would be right... more NB voltage for all four dimm slots being used on p965.. if you wanted to be safer you could sell the 4x1gig setup and just get a 2x2gig setup...

Back