• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixed DDR3-1333 on X58

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Browser

Registered
I don't think there should be any problems doing this but thought it still a good idea to get a second opinion just incase, rather safe than sorry.

I currently have 2x1GB Apacer DDR3-1333MHz Memory - 1GB (1GB UNB PC3-10600 CL9) and want to get a third but there's no stock so fidured I'd get a Kingston ValueRam Memory - DDR3-1333MHz - 1GB (KVR1333D3N9/1G) for the third channel. I shouldn't run into any problems should I?

Also I'm considering Apacer DDR3-1333MHz Memory - 2GB instead of the KVR-1GB for a total of 4GB (2x1GB+2GB) if that shouldn't be a problem.

I simply can't afford any expensive DDR3 RAM, the prices are completely nuts for the decent match sets.

Ok, had me wondering there for a moment. One of the reasons for asking is because I don't want to be stuck in single channel. I've never had a problem mixing RAM with dual channel but I don't know if triple channel is more strict or fussy when it comes to this, so I'd like to know if anyone is quite certain about any problems I might run into with the third module being a different brand capacity etc.

As far as I know if all the modules can run at the same timings/speeds then dual and hopefully triple channel shouldn't be a problem, but as I haven't tried...

Yes well that's why I'm asking, because it's unlikely or possibly won't work, if someone knows with reasonable certainty with DDR3 or has tried it themselves and how it turned out for them.

I think it should be fine with the 3x1gb sticks in triple channel, not sure about 2gb one though. Try matching the timings at the same voltage, but if not just sell 2gb and buy a cheap triple channel memory, you can pick up 1600Mhz for $100 for 6Gb now!

Back