• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 W/3 Dimms Fine but W/4 Problem to Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andycorleone

Registered
Hi, I have a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R overclocked to 3.2 (3.4 when x21) no problems when I use 3x2GB Dimms (OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 Gold) But Today I bought another set of 3x2GB (Same Model same Brand) to use 4 Dimms (My Mobo have only 4 Slots) but my overclock doesn't start anymore. What is happening? I'm also mix one of the New Dimms with the old one and use 3x2GB with no problems so aparently the problems is only when I use the 4 Slots. any suggestion is more than welcome. BTW I Manually add Timing in Bios.

Hi, I have a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R overclocked to 3.2 (3.4 when x21) no problems when I use 3x2GB Dimms (OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 Gold) But Today I bought another set of 3x2GB (Same Model same Brand) to use 4 Dimms (My Mobo have only 4 Slots) but my overclock doesn't start anymore. What is happening? I'm also mix one of the New Dimms with the old one and use 3x2GB with no problems so aparently the problems is only when I use the 4 Slots. any suggestion is more than welcome. BTW I Manually add Timing in Bios.

Its one of two scenerios, either your memory controller is weak and therefor is failing due to the added stress of having 4 banks active or the 4th dimm slot on your mobo is blown.

Its one of two scenerios, either your memory controller is weak and therefor is failing due to the added stress of having 4 banks active or the 4th dimm slot on your mobo is blown.

thank for you reply When is not overclocked seen to work fine with the 8gb :confused:

I say too much strain on the IMC. I am experiencing similar things when I try to go above 1656 on my memory. It is just weaker than the other Jiga offerings. I know it isn't the memory, it is just the chink in the armor of the UD3R. That is my only complaint with this board.

I don't think it is the bios, because I have had all of them up to the F5 which i'm running now and it is the same each time.

or the other possiblity is the dimm slots have bad solder connections... i remember reading about dimm slots that would just die on asus boards. i had 3 out of 4 go out on a IP35-E board, so there is no telling which it is till you test things out.

Back