• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading CPU in sony VAIO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benderrodriguez

hi all,

i've been given an old sony vaio with a pentium D 920 dual core and i want to see what CPU upgrade options i have. i've scoured the web without luck. i've visited sony and chatted with someone who was adamant about not giving me any information about upgrading and was trying to steer me into a new computer (no surprise). i also chatted with Intel's help person and they claimed that they had no information that they could give me even though the board was *made by them*.

anyways, i was just wondering what (newer) processor this board supported because i wanted to set this up as a low-end gaming computer for a friend of mine.

system info:
Intel "Prague" D945PPR/D945GPR. It's a socket 775 board with a 945 chipset.
Current processor: Intel Pentium D 920 dual core @ 2.8GHz, 1GB of DDR2-533 RAM.

does it support any of the c2d processors? any help would be appreciated.

You havent googled the mobo model to see????????

And no I dont think that chipset allows for any C2D. P4 may be all it can handle.

You havent googled the mobo model to see????????

And no I dont think that chipset allows for any C2D. P4 may be all it can handle.

believe me, i've tried teh google. no help there. intel doesn't list it as one of their official motherboards and sony is typically useless, both in documentation and online chat help.

but thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Back