• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap EVGA 750i nforce fan noise reduction solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mfliu

Disclaimer: I don't know if this is a good idea (prob not). But this is what I did:

1. I took the stock heatsink fan for the processor and took off the metal heatsink (I use an aftermarket fan)

2. I sawed off the 4 legs that attach to the motherboard.

3. I used twist ties to attach the fan to the n/b heatsink and plugged it into the aux 3pin header. The this fan now blows upwards (nforce fan blows downwards toward the GPU which I thought is not a good idea). I figured that the big zalman fan can handle a little hot air coming up anyway.

My motherboard sensors and fan controls are all messed up so I don't really trust the temps that I get anyways. Dynamic fan control also cannot control fan speed even when speed is set to manual.

Currently, my 2 chassis fans are supposedly running at ~1200rpm and the modded cpu fan is at ~2000. I can't change either; can't even find the place in the bios to change or monitor aux fan speed at all.

My questions are
1. should I flash the bios so I can change fan speed?
2. If so, what version should I use for EVGA 750i?
3. How fast can the stock CPU fan spin anyways?

Back