• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 Triple vs OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600 Triple

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's due to a couple things, first you get charged a premium by having the Corsair brand name on your RAM (if you want proof just check out their CL8 2000MHz GT kits vs. the CL8 2000MH Kingston kits, same Hyper ICs on both kits), and secondly Corsair might be using higher binned or different kinds of ICs on their sticks from what OCZ uses.

After reading a few reviews it seems that both can do 1600 easily, but I didn't see anyone that wanted to go higher.

If you want to go higher than 1600, get the corsairs imo.

yeah the other set thats better than both he posted and that ram overclocks as good or better than the corsair is all for half the price you got better timnings at 1600 and same clocks or higher topped out and 1800 is no issue.

The OCZ Plats are good as well as the Dominators (am running 3gb triple right now and love it) but stay away from the OCZ Gold kit, 2 sticks died a few days after purchase and I have not even put the ones they gave me for RMA into my machine as the doms are killer. Just my $.02 though, i'm sure there are scores of people who only use OCZ and love every second of it.

i'm not a fan of mid range OCZ kits. my friend has some and he hates them. they don't overclock very much...don't overclock at all.
only OCZs i ever recommend are Reapers and Reaper Xs. but even the new ddr3 kits aren't all that special.

both of my sets of the ocz plat 7-7-7 overclocks very well

Au or Pt, They're both at a great price right now. But for apples to apples , I think you should be comparing the OCZ platinum to the corsair dominator in terms of the IC's used and overclocking potential.

I just purchased a set of OCZ Pt's. the other day as a hold over/Back up set. They are the 1333MHz 7-7-7 3x2GB set and for $109 CDN ($93.00 USD) they were a steal!

The 3x1GB 1333MHz 7-7-7 set from this series uses the D9JNM chips. I'm not sure which IC's this set used but I'd imagine that they are the same, or perhaps the mid range Elpida's.

Regardless, they do a rock solid 1600MHz at 8-7-7-21 1T @1.7v, so I really made a good buy here. Pretty impressive for my very first set of OCZ's.

To the OP: I'd like to say go for the Corsairs because there might be quality or overclocking potential that you are missing out on by going with the OCZ's. But after actually trying the OCZ's I have to say there's no way on god's green earth that the price difference between the two is justifiable.

Last edited:
Back