• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EP45-UD3P vs EP-UD3R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

I've been upgrading my computer piece by piece lately, and the only things I haven't upgraded are the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and power supply. The power supply and case will be upgraded again when I get financial wherewithal to pay for them... I could but trying to keep things on the DL for a bit.

Anyway, I've got my mind set on an e5200, 4GB of DDR2, and a gigabyte board. As the title suggests, I'm stuck between the UD3P, and the UD3R. Until I get a switch, they're almost equivelent in functionality... unless the UD3P doesn't do network teaming which makes it totally worthless over the UD3R.

More importantly, are either of them known to be more or less stable? I'm wanting something at least somewhat familiar to my DFI SLI-DR in regards to "doing what I tell it to do 100% of the time".

Thoughts?

I know I was planning an i7 setup, but waiting to save up for it is boring the **** out of me.. and this is going to cost me 217$ - 237$, which is what it would almost cost to find some DDR1 memory to expand to 4GB, so it's my course of action. Gimme some feedback guys...

Another question I wanna tack on: Do either of these boards support vt-d? It's technology required to run fully accelerated 3D applications inside of a virtual terminal. Kind of something I wouldn't mind having for the future, but not a big killer for me... but would be a huge bonus in the future. (I'll be getting a vt enabled cpu in teh future, e5200 is something cheap to play with).

The EP45-UD3P is an upgraded model over the UD3R and is equipped with a second ethernet port as well as a second PCIe 16x slot with crossfire capability, otherwise they appear identical. I have only had my UD3R for about a week but have found it to be a fabulous board that is extremely capable and stable. Memory can be critical to a great overclock and while I wouldn't say this board is as touchy as some it does seem to have favorites. I tried many settings with a G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK but couldn't get where I am now with the HyperX. I'm not sure if the board prefers 1G memory over 2G or simply the chips used on the modules.

^... almost. The UD3R has 3 PCI, 3 PCIe x1, and 1 PCIe x16, where the UD3P has 2 PCI, 3 PCIe x1, 1 PCIe x 8 and 1 PCIe x16.
But you are right about the ethernet port...s, though. The P has 2, the R, 1.

Hopefully, I am getting a UD3P soon, and building a custom acrylic case with it (woot.).

i have the UD3P and love it havent had any problems with it, im also currently buying piece by piece a water cooling setup thanks to the great info there so i hope that it will work well with my mobo :)

I ordered my UD3P. It'll get a fair and loving chance... but don't be surprised if I give up on it!

i havent had any usb issues yet :)

Good to hear. I'm extremely anal about hardware, though. I'll find issues and send a board back for things 99% of users would ignore.

:screwy:

Edit: Seen any loss of overclocking with 8GB of RAM (4 sticks of DDR2 1066)? I am starting with 4, but will add another kit in a few weeks if I find I like the board.

Good to hear. I'm extremely anal about hardware, though. I'll find issues and send a board back for things 99% of users would ignore.

:screwy:

Edit: Seen any loss of overclocking with 8GB of RAM (4 sticks of DDR2 1066)? I am starting with 4, but will add another kit in a few weeks if I find I like the board.

i only have 4gigs and have not overclocked yet cause i dont have the cooling to do it

i only have 4gigs and have not overclocked yet cause i dont have the cooling to do it

I probably won't be overclocking until next week. Here's my itinerary:

Go home at 6AM, tear down my old rig removing any hardware that I don't care to keep in the box. Namely, I'll be removing anything that isn't supposed to be in my windows gaming rig:

GTX 260 Core 216
Velociraptors (300GB)
Caviar Black (1TB)
X-Fi Titanium
Better DVD burning drive...

And then I'll install the following:

7600GT
Raptor 74GB (been sitting on the shelf for a while now)
Seagate 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive (not sure what use it will serve, might backup files to it for kicks)
Older DVD drive
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (best linux sound card ever!)

And then I'll install ubuntu amd64. That'll be the end of today. Sleep until work...

Then on wednesday, I'll recieve the parts for the new computer. Unfortunately, I'll have to start off with the intel cooler, but that'll be sufficient for initial burn in and testing as well as bios flash, etc. I'll get it setup for prime95+, and then see if I can get the vr300's running on either the intel matrix or the gigabyte raid controller. If netiher work that'd be an instant deal breaker. If everything goes as planned, then...

On thursday, I'll do a full tear down, remove the noctua from the old machine, install the CNPS9700 into the buntu rig, and that rig can be left in the corner for all I care, as it's going to be handling server detail. Then I'll lay out my cuts, and get to dremeling. I'll drill holes for some zip ties, cut some squares for wire routing, hopefully I can route the 8 pin behind the mobo panel. Then I'll reinstall the system with noctua cooler. I also want to see if I can get away with cutting out behind the CPU cooler, to make installation and removal of a CPU cooler easier. Last and probably least, I'll see if I can remove that plastic inner window and somehow super glue the mesh in so it doesn't leave. I don't intend to install a fan there. Fan layout will be top 200MM pointing in, rear 120 exhaust, 260 exhaust, 750 silencer, exhaust, front two 120's intake. I've got one of those lian li fan shrouds I'm going to try and use, maybe have it under the CPU cooler, might make for lower temps as it'd catch the 200mm's air.

Friday, I'll recieve my white led yate loons. Once they're installed, overclocking can begin! I'll have an Antec 900 with a few choice mods, that glows a brilliant white (I've wanted white leds for some time now). :D

I probably won't be overclocking until next week. Here's my itinerary:

Go home at 6AM, tear down my old rig removing any hardware that I don't care to keep in the box. Namely, I'll be removing anything that isn't supposed to be in my windows gaming rig:

GTX 260 Core 216
Velociraptors (300GB)
Caviar Black (1TB)
X-Fi Titanium
Better DVD burning drive...

And then I'll install the following:

7600GT
Raptor 74GB (been sitting on the shelf for a while now)
Seagate 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive (not sure what use it will serve, might backup files to it for kicks)
Older DVD drive
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (best linux sound card ever!)

And then I'll install ubuntu amd64. That'll be the end of today. Sleep until work...

Then on wednesday, I'll recieve the parts for the new computer. Unfortunately, I'll have to start off with the intel cooler, but that'll be sufficient for initial burn in and testing as well as bios flash, etc. I'll get it setup for prime95+, and then see if I can get the vr300's running on either the intel matrix or the gigabyte raid controller. If netiher work that'd be an instant deal breaker. If everything goes as planned, then...

On thursday, I'll do a full tear down, remove the noctua from the old machine, install the CNPS9700 into the buntu rig, and that rig can be left in the corner for all I care, as it's going to be handling server detail. Then I'll lay out my cuts, and get to dremeling. I'll drill holes for some zip ties, cut some squares for wire routing, hopefully I can route the 8 pin behind the mobo panel. Then I'll reinstall the system with noctua cooler. I also want to see if I can get away with cutting out behind the CPU cooler, to make installation and removal of a CPU cooler easier. Last and probably least, I'll see if I can remove that plastic inner window and somehow super glue the mesh in so it doesn't leave. I don't intend to install a fan there. Fan layout will be top 200MM pointing in, rear 120 exhaust, 260 exhaust, 750 silencer, exhaust, front two 120's intake. I've got one of those lian li fan shrouds I'm going to try and use, maybe have it under the CPU cooler, might make for lower temps as it'd catch the 200mm's air.

Friday, I'll recieve my white led yate loons. Once they're installed, overclocking can begin! I'll have an Antec 900 with a few choice mods, that glows a brilliant white (I've wanted white leds for some time now). :D

wow long list but i wish you the best of luck and im sure you will like the board and plus any problems you can ask here and people will help :D

wow long list but i wish you the best of luck and im sure you will like the board and plus any problems you can ask here and people will help :D

Not only am I looking forward to dignifying my Core 216, but having a totally seperate server is going to be sweet. I need to RMA my 7600GT's, though. They're old, dicrepid, and having issues running in SLI. I'd like to have them working... maybe eVGA will give me something from the Geforce 8 family. :)

Not only am I looking forward to dignifying my Core 216, but having a totally seperate server is going to be sweet. I need to RMA my 7600GT's, though. They're old, dicrepid, and having issues running in SLI. I'd like to have them working... maybe eVGA will give me something from the Geforce 8 family. :)

i need to upgrade my server, though i might just buy a whole new one off of ebay or something

I don't quite like my UD3R, it soils it's pants when you loosen the memory timings too much and it absolutely hates cool boots; I unplugged it for a few hours yesterday and it took about 30 min to get the stupid thing to boot.

Most people seem to have good luck with it though, so I guess that makes me the minority. :\

I have a UD3R at the moment and it has been super easy to OC my q8200, the Kingston HyperX RAM seems to work very well with this board too. I have never had the issues with the cool boot problem described above.

so do you like the board?

I don't know yet. I haven't found any outright bugs t hat turn me off. The slow bios refresh is apparent, but that doesn't bother me. I haven't updated the bios yet and I'm not sure I have to. It says on the boot screen UD3P F8, which should mean F8 bios. Which if I recall is the latest... either way.

With my silencer being bad, I can't really push this thing. My 510 can't handle it I don't think. I've noticed a lot of instability at FSB's greater than 266, and clocks past 3.2Ghz. Still trying to iron all that out. I don't like the fact that it resets the bios after two unsuccessful boots... I wish it just kept the settings iono, not really sure, I prefer the way the dfi board I had behaved. Also I'm getting very erratic speed. Some things are incredibly fast, some things are incredibly slow. I cna't really explain it. It's not like my AMD where everything was a nice consistent speed about it... some things my amd actually did faster which is all sorts of wierd to me.

I'll know by the end of saturday. I WAS very impressed by the weight and build quality of the board. The heatsink looks awesome in person.

Back