• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just did the dumbest thing ever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr McFondled

Disabled
So I got a 2gb DDR2 RAM, And I just installed it. But it was one of the tiny ones So I put it in. and I don't realize that I put it in back wards and so i turned on my computer and it began to beep crazy so I turned it off and check the ram and it was HOT, I took it out and realized it was in the wrong way. I put it the way it was supposed to be and it worked...

Now i need a way to try and over clock this bad boy. Its a Kingston. 2gb its so small...

The RAM sticks are keyed.. As well as the slots. To prevent this type of installation from happening. That thingy that sticks up inside the slot itself and matching part way on the sticks itself is the key. Most computer parts are key slotted. Almost if not all user upgradeable on computers, are keyed in a similar way. Even wire stuff is keyed so it only goes on one way. The keys also stop you from installing parts that do not belong too.

How did you install it backwards and get them to seat enough to allow power to the sticks.? I am honestly curious. (Did you use a jack hammer? lol) I am not going to make fun of you or allow anyone else to. But what do you mean by small.. DDR2 might not be huge. But it is not small. It should be the same size as other desktop RAM sticks..Physically. Or you not referring the the physical size.. But the size of 2GB of data it can hold.

We grow from mistakes.. Also learn from them. So if your not hip on all the computer lingo/parts that is ok.. I would rather you not break your computer though. Maybe learn a thing or two if you do not know..

Last edit:

Did you try and install Laptop ram in your machine?

Last edited:
So I got a 2gb DDR2 RAM, And I just installed it. But it was one of the tiny ones So I put it in. and I don't realize that I put it in back wards and so i turned on my computer and it began to beep crazy so I turned it off and check the ram and it was HOT, I took it out and realized it was in the wrong way. I put it the way it was supposed to be and it worked...

Now i need a way to try and over clock this bad boy. Its a Kingston. 2gb its so small...

What the hell are you talking about "small" and "tiny"? Ram only comes in one size...

Even laptop RAM isn't necessarily "tiny" unless you've got King Kong hands.

I was some how confused and sort of mad. I thought to myself "F*ck these morons sold me the wrong stick ((pushing it in with force)) Why won't it fit ((Notices a bit of metal sticking out)) Eh.. ((Does something even more stupid by turning it on)) ... (( Super loud and continues beeping)) Oh Sh*t !! ((Holds power button down for 5 seconds and turns off)) ..Eh What ever (( Checks stick, is burning hot)) Oh My... ((Notices its backwards)) Oh lul ((puts it in the correct way, and it works)) Yay : D (( looks at father)) Haha I almost broke my computer : D" Thats how it happened.

And nope lol !! Im not that stupid or confused It was like a stick of ram ddr2 that was tiny.
http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/files/detail/100747.jpg

I think I was just to anxious to put it in. I also purchased a 9500 GT with it Its so awesome <3 ((2gb of hard ddr2)) for that baby.

I still do not see how you got it in far enough where it was past the key slot. The key is taller than the gold fingers. For a reason. The amount of extra above the gold fingers is how far you have to go before you find power.. Inside the RAM slot itself.

The slot on the stick/slot itself is offset for an obvious reason. If the module is not installed right. It will not physically seat in the slot. You cannot push it in.. Unless you actually physically break something.. Be it the board or the stick of RAM. Breaking the stick of RAM in half or crack the RAM slot in two.... That male slot has to fit in the female or it will not go in at all.... Backwards forwards upside down green eggs and ham..

100747.jpg

I honestly do not see how you seated the RAM backwards..

Last edited:
I still do not see how you got it in far enough where it was past the key slot. The key is taller than the gold fingers. For a reason. The amount of extra above the gold fingers is how far you have to go before you find power.. Inside the RAM slot itself.

The slot on the stick/slot itself is offset for an obvious reason. If the module is not installed right. It will not physically seat in the slot. You cannot push it in.. Unless you actually physically break something.. Be it the board or the stick of RAM. Breaking the stick of RAM in half or crack the RAM slot in two.... That male slot has to fit in the female or it will not go in at all.... Backwards forwards upside down green eggs and ham..

100747.jpg

I honestly do not see how you seated the RAM backwards..
I like green eggs and ham. Well Any ways., Okay Okay, I put it in. like i push it and you know how it has those locks. on the side. I push them in so it would lock, so I basically bent the card. and it was sticking out. I don't know why it didn't break but it didn't nothing bad happened lol i just removed it and flipped it over

I don't want to make you feel like I am implying anything. But I still do not see how or can I conceptualize. That you got past a purposely engineered physical limitation. Which is the main reason the "idiot key" exists in the first place. That is not a jab at you bro, that is what I been calling it for years and I think it is called that...
It's to prevent errant module installations of orientation or type. There is a 'male hill' (for lack of better words) in the slot itself. Which is high enough where none of the gold fingers can get inside the slot to power the module. There is no sides in the RAM slot, to slide past, or circumvent. All slots for RAM I ever seem are single molded plastic pieces. On the module itself. It will not bend enough to allow it to install backwards... Long as the male and female mate. Then you can seat a RAM module. As you put it.. Card. Which is not far from the truth. It is a dinky card of sorts.

ear.jpg

You would have to break the hardware to get it to install backwards. I was looking at an old board of mine.. Trying to visualize how you did this unusual feat. I noticed on older PIII Intel board there is two slot keys. For PC133 modules.. I digress.. I just cannot fathom how you bent the module enough to get it in the slot. Without making it a U shape. Standing on end. It would not lock or go in. Simply due to that key would not let it. It is akin to installing a RAM module upside down. If the female key does not let the male seat.. It will not go into the slot enough to let the clip ears seat on the side ear notches.

It is the analogy of round hole square peg. I like crazy adventures and good stories. I've done my share of odd things with a computer and made my share of mistakes. But this one sounds like installing a CPU backwards.. Which unless you smash pins to do it. It will not seat. Due the how it lines up the pins and sockets..

Computer engineers have made installing parts like the way they are for a reason and there is safety features engineered directly into it. Like molex connectors.. They are angle eared for a darn good reason. I am sure if you are persistent.. You could get a male plug in a female molex receptacle.. But it is obvious and would break something doing so. Video cards and PCI cards are the same.. Almost all user computer replaceable parts are specific how you can seat them. Or are generic enough in placing them, where it does not matter. then it will not be keyed to a specific installation pattern.

Help a feller out. I simply just cannot think how you did this usual feat.. Heck I once tried for 15 minutes once to get PC100 in a DDR2700 board. (Which I realized I had the wrong module) So trying to install something that won't is not new to me. Even if I was drunk trying it... Should I take a few pints to visualize this? lmao

Last edited:
My best guess is that this is a matter of perspective. Maybe one side was locked down but the other was sticking up. Maybe from his angle it looked like it was seated. That would allow for nothing to break but still have some pins in the slot.

But if I were him I would pull out the DIMM and look for damage to it and in the slot.

My best guess is that this is a matter of perspective. Maybe one side was locked down but the other was sticking up. Maybe from his angle it looked like it was seated. That would allow for nothing to break but still have some pins in the slot.

But if I were him I would pull out the DIMM and look for damage to it and in the slot.

Yeah, you can get one side to seat and lock and maybe because he was anxious he heard the snap of the one lock and thought it was seated and then powered on. Other than thta it doesnt sound like it is possible for the above reasons.

Yeah, you can get one side to seat and lock and maybe because he was anxious he heard the snap of the one lock and thought it was seated and then powered on. Other than thta it doesnt sound like it is possible for the above reasons.
Yes Thank you.

I took it out and realized it was in the wrong way. I put it the way it was supposed to be and it worked...

lol, at first I thought this thread was intended to have the same tone as >this thread<

A few years ago I put a stick of memory in backwards, I had worked graveyard shift, had been drinking beer well into the afternoon(after working all night) and the lighting was poor.
I wasn't so lucky, the motherboard died, but the memory stick was o.k.

Veeery dumb. :rolleyes:

:soda:

lol, at first I thought this thread was intended to have the same tone as >this thread<

A few years ago I put a stick of memory in backwards, I had worked graveyard shift, had been drinking beer well into the afternoon(after working all night) and the lighting was poor.
I wasn't so lucky, the motherboard died, but the memory stick was o.k.

Veeery dumb. :rolleyes:
lol

Oh Wow, That sucks the cheaper thing was saved while the other was totaled D;

:soda:

Back