• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does dual channel and non dual channnel make a differnt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

♠♠Spade♠♠

Registered
i just bought me the evga780i sli mobo and i used the ddr2 out my old mobo which was a asus p5n-d. i installed it and everything worked fine BUT is showing i only have 2.87g of memory so i was read some info about the mobo and it used dual channel memory not the ddr2 i have those it make a diffrent could one of my stick be bad orshould i go and pick up 4 more gigs or dual channel ram?

Well to answer your main question. Dual channel memory is not a special type of memory. It is simply when you use two DIMMs of the same size and speed and place them in the correct slots on your mother board used for dual channel memory. Each DIMM will be a single channel, the pairing of the two channels is done at the memory controller level, it is not a feature of the DIMM itself. There is nothing different about buying two single DDR2 DIMMs and a "dual channel" kit with two DIMMs in the kit. Ideally you should only use DIMMs from the same manufacturer (at least the same chips being used if you mix brands) but this is just to help eliminate possible stability issues, this does not mean you can't mix and match brands but YMMV as to stability at stock clocks and/or during overclocking.

Now about your 2.8GB's of RAM being seen. If your signature is correct and you are using Vista 32-bit and 8GB's of RAM, then there is your problem. You need to have a 64-bit OS to use more than 4GB's of RAM. I'm not sure why it is reporting such a low number but I would blame the OS first and not conclude it is faulty hardware.

I GOT RID OF THE OTHER 4 GIG I JUST HAVENT UPDATED MY SIG if anything ill just reinstall vista and see how that turns out thx for the quick reply

... The 2.87 is because some of your harware take a part of the 4 GB limit of addressable physical memory. This Physical memory includes not only your RAM, but any memory on your graphics card and any other devices. Some of the 4 GB is also used for the internal properties of your OS.

... The 2.87 is because some of your harware take a part of the 4 GB limit of addressable physical memory. This Physical memory includes not only your RAM, but any memory on your graphics card and any other devices. Some of the 4 GB is also used for the internal properties of your OS.

^^QFT^^

I was about to reply with this same info.

♠♠Spade♠♠;6060882 said:
reason i ask im getting the stupid low memory beep when i turn on the pc drives me mad.

A single beep? You sure that's not the normal "POST OK" beep?

♠♠Spade♠♠;6060743 said:
I GOT RID OF THE OTHER 4 GIG I JUST HAVENT UPDATED MY SIG if anything ill just reinstall vista and see how that turns out thx for the quick reply

No need to yell, and if you reinstall VISTA 32 bit it won't make a difference. The OS is only capable of using about 3.4 GB or RAM no matter what you do.
You have to get a 64 bit OS, and I wouldn't reccomend buying VISTA 64 bit. Wait for Win7 to come out later and get that in 64bit.

♠♠Spade♠♠;6060882 said:
reason i ask im getting the stupid low memory beep when i turn on the pc drives me mad.

Last I knew there is no such thing as a low memory beep, only a message that Windows will display. At what point do you hear this beep? Are there many beeps? If so how many, and how many long or short beeps?

Back