• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM overclocking goes bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thejester24

I need help, and i need to have this problem solved within the next few hours so please reply quickly.

I looked up how to overclock your Memory clock on YouTube and came up with a good video showing how to overclock usinig you r BIOS.

I went into my BIOS went to the advanced tab and selected Chipset config. went down to memory or something like that. Set the clock speed setting to manual- user defined and overclocked it from 400 to 633mhz. I went back to the main menu and saved and exited. They're Intel BIOS by the way.

Then my LCD went into stand by and all my fans started to spin at max speeds. Nothing was happening so i held the power button and restarted the PC. My PC is on and my fans are spinning wildly out of control and none of my peripherals work; that includes my keyboard, mouse, LCD, my wifi card.

Please help me out. Thank you in advance.

Congratulations, you propably just have fried your RAM with excess and too rapid overclock. Propably something more too, like your motherboard. Anyways, if you're lucky enough, resetting your CMOS will fix this. Look up your motherboard manual on how to go about that. (there are also other names for the CMOS, because some mfgs seemingly think that's a good factor for marketing.) Usually removing the battery for a while or using a jumper(the better option) will reset the CMOS.

FWIW, if someone can overclock his RAM in some way, it does NOT mean you can overclock YOUR RAM the same way. That's why you always overclock a little, stress test, overclock some more until you hit instability or other errors.

Now what if I don't have my motherboard manual because I didn't buy the mobo seperate from the computer.

By the battery you mean the one that's directly on the motherboard. And that looks like one of the ones you can buy at walmart or something (thin circular shape).

EDIT: I looked it up on Goggle and I just removed the battery. I'm going to wait 7 minutes and then I'll reinsert teh batter and attempt to boot up again. Ill tell you my status after that.

Last edited:
My PC is working properly now and plan on not touching my clock settings in my BIOS again.
Thanks for the help and I owe Sony one for the internet browser on their PS3.

You really didn't have to remove the battery but move the jumper on the "Clear CMOS" pins.

Glad to see it is all working now though.

Congratulations, you propably just have fried your RAM with excess and too rapid overclock. Propably something more too, like your motherboard.

I'm pretty sure that you can't fry your RAM or Motherboard unless you start upping the various voltages. Something like changing the clock speed (or what looks like a multiplier in this case) should never damage anything, just leave the system in an unstable unbootable state like what he had.

A jump from 400MHz to 633MHz generally will not work. I would not be discouraged by this and I would start simpler. Increasing the bus speed by a few MHz at a time is a better way of overclocking, but this will overclock both your RAM and CPU which makes things complicated. You may not even have these options on a pre-installed OEM motherboard. I have also noticed that you see more of an improvement trying to oc the CPU and keeping the RAM as close to stock speeds as possible until you find the limit of the CPU, then start seeing how much you can push the RAM.

Oh I don't know a lot about overclocking But l was wondering if I should overclock to my ram and if i should how to would be cool S link be fine if you didn't explain anyway i have it that here we go ago again i posted a msg abot overcloking to cpu via fsb which I 've successfully done to high so RAM overclocking goes bad

Oh I don't know a lot about overclocking But l was wondering if I should overclock to my ram and if i should how to would be cool S link be fine if you didn't explain anyway i have it that here we go ago again i posted a msg abot overcloking to cpu via fsb which I 've successfully done to high so RAM overclocking goes bad

Punctuation might make you more intelligible.

Back