• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1366 the way of the future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanko693

does anyone know if intel plans on coming out with a new socket anytime soon? i want to build my ultimate dream pc but it will take awhile as i am only 16 and making minimum wage. i want to slowly acquire the parts but i want to make sure it will not be obsolete in a year.

Intel is probably sticking with 1366 for at least 2 more years. Intel hasn't even started making mainstream chips using this socket yet. There are detailed plans for intel's future available everywhere, just search on google.

However it is my experience that attempting to stay ahead of the curve by buying the best possible parts is futile. Instead, do your research and make informed decisions. Your previous posts seem to suggest that you know what you are doing regarding buying parts (like your previous build), but I have one suggestion and that is to avoid factory overclocked graphics cards. The manufacturer basically just rips you off for a few more MHZ. You can easily just overclock on your own. Some people would say that those cards are better than the stock clocked ones, but they probably are only marginally more stable. Not worth the extra 30-50 dollars. Just get a stock card from a good company like evga and you should be fine.

Also, I would recommend saving up to buy all the parts at the same time. While the socket 1366 is not going anywhere soon, hardware manufacturers release updates to their products that make them faster and more stable all the time, so you probably would get a better performing machine for a lower cost if you waited until you had the money to buy all your parts (since if you build your computer part by part you wouldn't be able to use it until you had everything necessary to make it run anyways).

Also, I would recommend saving up to buy all the parts at the same time. While the socket 1366 is not going anywhere soon, hardware manufacturers release updates to their products that make them faster and more stable all the time, so you probably would get a better performing machine for a lower cost if you waited until you had the money to buy all your parts (since if you build your computer part by part you wouldn't be able to use it until you had everything necessary to make it run anyways).

Not to mention if you get a bum stick of memory or your mobo is doa and you bought it 3 months ago, now you are stuck and have to rma it after waiting all that time and staring at it lol. Plus, prices drop like crazy on some items. I bought a 6g kit of OCZ Gold ddr3 for $170, two weeks later it was $100.

Saving up in chunks is way easier. Like cpu, mobo and ram. Then psu and video card. That way you can use the i7 till the gfx and power come in.

does anyone know if intel plans on coming out with a new socket anytime soon? i want to build my ultimate dream pc but it will take awhile as i am only 16 and making minimum wage. i want to slowly acquire the parts but i want to make sure it will not be obsolete in a year.
The Socket 1156 platforms will be out later this year. Keep that mind.
Keep in mind (also) that INTEL already has 3 generations of that already on the drawing table, so each will be short lived.
Core i7 is a fad right now.
How long will it last? Nothing is etched in stone but it's already done just about everything that it's going to do. The real changes will be next year when the X68 chipset becomes available.
The surest and safest hardware investments that you can make (right now) are still CORE 2 platforms. They'll be around for a couple of more years.
This is not a good time to invest in the newest hardware, unless you just have money to burn and are one of those who just absolutely has to have the newest first, regardless of what you end up with.

Back