• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5k deluxe, swich to rampage extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

hey guys i need a little bit of help and guidance lol
i cant find a review or comparison chart for the life of me..

i wanted to see what the total difference is in both boards..
i wanted to actually see what the difference in the chip sets are and the % of gains if there are any.
i know the chip set is faster obviously but..
how much faster is it over it?
and are those numbers just bench numbers do they actually show a difference in game, or workload environment.

thanks for reading my topic, if you have the time please do so reply.

the p5k deluxe is a good board, excellent, ill even go so far to say. it makes some pretty good bandwidth once you get it to stretch its legs a little. the x48 makes that same initial grunt, but with a little more work then the p5k, it will dominate it in most everything.. and use less power at the same time, about 20-30w give or take a nut hair. the one thing i really like about this board over the p35, is the way it handles ram.. the p5k is brutal with ram like d9gmh. you can clock em hard and fast, but no matter how cool they ran, the board still managed to kill em (i went thru about 10 sets of diff strains of d9) but the way the rampage handles ram, its pretty awsome, this board will find the max of just about anything you put on it. im talking cpu fsb limits, ram speed limits, things like that. and since you would be going with the ddr3 version, im sure it will be that much better then the ddr2 version of the board. sorry for the vague post, its time for dinner and my batts are getting low :)

Thanks for takin the time to reply
So given the p5k is a good board
You do think the upgrade is worth it
I'm not big on ram myself butim sure it makes a diffrence
I was lookin at the 1600 ddr3 cas 6
I'm not going to over clock it if I can sneek by it
So here is my plan
I'm gunna put my q66 in there
With some 4 gigs ocz flex xlc 1600 ddr3 cas 6
I'm in hopes I can get this to clock @4GHZ
What is killing me now is the sb on the p5k
It needs more
Voltage to achieve what I need
Other thoughts is this
My current rig is in my sig
I'm verry curious to see how much of a diffrence
in comparison to that I'll be recieveing

Last edited:
Is the ddr3 the only real difference in comparison
Extreme vs regular formula of this board?
I'm curious because I truthfully don't see ddr3 really worth the price difference

yeah im not sure on the ddr3, looks good on x58 so far tho :thup:

im pretty satisfied ftm with this board, tho i got it almost a year ago. as for your other post, why do you need more sb voltage? i just have mine at the min.

Maybe look at the Maximus II Formula, it's P45 and has the bonus of the X48 being 2 x16 PCI lanes! P45 is awesome for quad overclocking and the Maximus II Formula is a solid board. Other than that, DDR3 is waste of money unless going i7 imo. The Rampage Extreme DOES look better aesthetically and it has some cool features like an improved LED display I think and some more buttons on the mobo itself, but that's all as far as I know.

Thanks for the input
It's too bad I just ordered the rampage formula regular version
If I'm not happy I will rma it and get the maximus
I had thought long and hard between both them boards
This one was open box for a few hundred less then the maximus so ill test it throughly

If you just bought the Rampage Formula stick with that board, I have one too and it overclocks my Q6600 no problem. The Maximus II Formula would have only been worth it if you could have gotten it cheaper than the Rampage Formula.

Good luck with your board! You wont be dissapointed, at least I wasn't.

thankyou...ill let ya know how it pans out..im excited to check it out...i been wating for this board since release date lol

na, its an awsome board, i was able to run my old q6600 at 475x8 24/7 in the winter months heheh :) it also overclocks 8gb of ram with no problem either, i just got some mushkin pc8000 in the mail today that i got from a fellow member here. i forgot to back off my oc a bit before i plugged the new stix in, but it fired up with no troubles at all :thup:

I used to have a q6600 G0 runnin on my p5e deluxe (RF 0410 bios), of which is nearly the same as the rampage formula. I honestly had the hardest time getting the q66 up past 420 fsb w/ a 8x multi. Whats the highest fsb mark uve been able to boot into windows with?

I've had my Q6600 boot windows at 525 fsb :beer: but it is impossible to get any fsb around 500 stable for me :(

I just got everything installed clean up and running at stock
I had no issues with the install it was painless
For an experienced builder that is
Note
Any one using tuniq tower will have to do some grinding to get the hsf to fit in between the copper cooling surrounding the CPU slot
I have one concern
My
N b is running stock at 50c???
Is that right???
I'll do some ocing tonight when I find out the answer to that
Also what is the max n b temp i should be worried about??
I found one hitch so far that is running my ram at 1066 caused overcoockng failed
I have 1066 ram already it's not even an overclock
But
Im betting the voltage is off
Umm another thought this board has an amazing amount of 3 pin fan comects kudos I did not expect that its awsome
And the control for fans makes it pointless to use a controler by it does all that already
Much more efficantly then the p5k

Another note this board is sexy that's all i can say for now

Last edited:
I've had my Q6600 boot windows at 525 fsb :beer: but it is impossible to get any fsb around 500 stable for me :(

my self im thinking of doing 400 x 9 or something and going with 333 you can prob achieve 4ghz that way..
333 and the multipulyer works better on the p5k for me so im assumeing its prob the same on this board..ill let ya know in a few what i came up with..

I just got everything installed clean up and running at stock
I had no issues with the install it was painless
For an experienced builder that is
Note
Any one using tuniq tower will have to do some grinding to get the hsf to fit in between the copper cooling surrounding the CPU slot
I have one concern
My
N b is running stock at 50c???
Is that right???
I'll do some ocing tonight when I find out the answer to that
Also what is the max n b temp i should be worried about??
I found one hitch so far that is running my ram at 1066 caused overcoockng failed
I have 1066 ram already it's not even an overclock
But
Im betting the voltage is off
Umm another thought this board has an amazing amount of 3 pin fan comects kudos I did not expect that its awsome
And the control for fans makes it pointless to use a controler by it does all that already
Much more efficantly then the p5k

Another note this board is sexy that's all i can say for now

heheh yeah the board runs a bit warm if you dont have much air moveing around.. if you have a small 80mm fan, just place it ontop of your vidcard aimed towards the nb, it really helps :thup:

Thankyou verry much for posting that
Right and well last two days I been on a overclock venge
I got it up to 3.7 and hen I ran into bsod issues
I'm sure the voltages I'm useing are way too high
I'm gunna try your setup in a few minutes here
Thanks again

Ok so I nearly hit 4 ghz
On a quad im told that's good
Bcause it's hard
I ended up hitting 3.93 ghz
With a 490 fsb using 8 as the multiplier
It gave Me a dram freq of 981
Voltages
CPU 1.49375
CPU PLL 1.7
Nb 1.6
Dram 2.04
Sb 1.175
A idol in the bios cpilu is running at 42c BAD BOY!
Nb is 49 c
Sb 40c

Ok so I nearly hit 4 ghz
On a quad im told that's good
Bcause it's hard
I ended up hitting 3.93 ghz
With a 490 fsb using 8 as the multiplier
It gave Me a dram freq of 981
Voltages
CPU 1.49375
CPU PLL 1.7
Nb 1.6
Dram 2.04
Sb 1.175
A idol in the bios cpilu is running at 42c BAD BOY!
Nb is 49 c
Sb 40c

There is no need to increase the CPU PLL for a 24/7 overclock, just have it run at 1.5V. Other than that, 4 GHz is nearly impossible to get stable with a Q6600 unless you have a golden chip, most Q6600's dont even hit 3.8 GHz stable, 3.6 is the sweet spot. Northbridge is also rather high for a 24/7 overclock, and the southbridge should just be running at 1.05V, you are not increasing the PCI frequency, so no need to change that voltage.

Back