• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabytes customer service sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

Read from the bottom up.

Answer : all settings which you are able to view under bios are all which are available for this board.

Question - 746109
Sent : 4/14/2009 11:57
Question : yes but they run in sync with the ram divider. so if you get ram thats rated at 1600+ or more then it should not be a issue.
So are you saying that Gigabyte offers nothing when it comes to CPUS such as the QX9770 with a fsb of 1600MHZ and a divider of 1:1?

That really didnt answer my question. Are you not sure?
Answer - 745068
Answer : CPU fsb and memory fsb are independently, they operate separately
Question - 745068
Sent : 4/11/2009 04:40
Question : One last question

You said that 1333fsb are beyond jdec standard. On CPUs such as QX9770 The FSB is 1600. I should be able to run a 1:1 and not be out side of the JDEC standards.

Does this mobo have a issue running ram to spec even with chips that have a standard 1600MHZ FSB?

Thanks for your time!
Answer - 744775
Answer : There are no beta bios available for this board, all settings which you see under bios are all which will be available

Question - 744775
Sent : 4/10/2009 11:45
Question : Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions!

Ok so you say that all you can guaranty is that ram will run at 1333 @ a 1:1 .
Thats fine. I have no issue with that.

Is there any beta bios like a f7B or a f8B bios that i can test out.

Anyway that you can tell me why the memory bandwidth is lacking at a 3:5 ratio?

Thanks again for your time. This is why I keep buying Gigabyte.
Answer - 743367
Answer : Unfortunately any memory higher than 1333fsb are beyond jdec standard and will be consider overclocking which we are unable to guarantee any results off from it. As for the difference in revision are the same, only the heatsink were changed
Question - 743367
Sent : 4/7/2009 14:40
Question : I seem to be having issues with getting my ram to run on your mother boards at rated speeds. I don't think its the ram cause it runs fine on other mobos fine even other gigabyte mobos fine. I can not get it stable at 1600Mhz even running the voltage up to 2.1V when it is rated at 1.9 with 7-7-7-18. I'm not sure if its a bios issue but I would be more then happy to test a beta F7 or F8 bios.

Also what is the difference between the rev 1.0 and 1.1 mobos?

Thansk for your time and have a nice day

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-EP45T-UD3P(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : f5
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer : newegg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : g Model : gtx260
CPU Brand : Intel Model : q6600 Speed : 3.6ghz
Operation System : Win XP SP :
Memory Brand : super talent Type :
Memory Size : 2 gigs Speed : 1600
Power Supply : 950 W

PCP&C 850ssI psu. 2 gigs super talent ram that is rated at 7-7-7-18 @1.9V. gtx260

I been having problems getting my ram to run at rated speeds.
I cant get a straight answer.

Help me out did i miss something.
Thanks

They seem very uninterested in their customers problems. I'm going through some audio issues right now and I regret purchasing a Gigabyte board, will never stray from DFI and Asus ever again.

Yet the same post was just on here the other day about Asus. I am sure if you dig you will find this about every vendor.

If you want tech advice, go to the forums. If you want an RMA, go to the vendor first, but then to the manufacturer if the store warranty is expired. Fortunately, I've never had to RMA a motherboard, except to vendors. About everything else - RAM, hard drives, video cards, UPS, monitor, I've had to RMA through the manufacturer. Best - Western Digital and APC (outstanding); worst - XFX (nearly two months start to finish). But I digress.

From what I've read, some of the manufacturers can provide good tech advice. Abit was good, at least on their forums, and so also I hear about OCZ. Most manufacturers cut costs by hiring tech support that mainly functions with minor troubleshooting and the RMA process. I wouldn't be too hard on Gigabyte over this call incident.

Having read the details in your tech support exchange, I see you covered the bases pretty well. Sorry if I came across as condescending. Yeah, it seems that board should run 1600 RAM at 1600. I don't understand that. Have you boosted the FSB and Northbridge voltages in trying reach 1600/1:1? I run my GA-P35-DS4 boards at 1600 or 1556, so there's no reason your P45 shouldn't do it, or so it seems.

I think the man issue is one of 2 or 2 or 2 things. P45 and DDR3 dont play together well and no one wants to say or they need to come out with a new bios.

In all fairness, I don't see your RAM on their compatiblility list for that board. Did you try calling? I've always gotten right through to someone who speaks good english and has a clue.

hank123 said:
You said that 1333fsb are beyond jdec standard. On CPUs such as QX9770 The FSB is 1600. I should be able to run a 1:1 and not be out side of the JDEC standards.
I understand where you're coming from, but you seem to be a bit confused about what the tech support rep "guaranteed" in terms of memory speed. He is saying that memory speeds beyond JEDEC specs are not guaranteed to work (I think it's an excuse not to answer your question, but technically he is probably right according to the Gigabyte's policies). For DDR2, the JEDEC spec only goes up to DDR2-1066, so even running at 1333 FSB is beyond the spec. Even with a QX9770 CPU, the JEDEC spec for memory speed is the same, so Gigabyte only guarantees that the memory will run at 1066 MHz, which would be a 2:3 memory:FSB ratio. I doubt this policy is different than any other motherboard manufacturer. What it comes down to is that you were interacting with a tech support rep who didn't want to do anything more than he had to while assisting you. Maybe there are some other people at Gigabyte customer support who would be more helpful, but in the end you have to remember that you are asking them to help you overclock (at least in their eyes).

PS: DDR3 is a different ballgame. Gigabyte will guarantee DDR3-1600 speeds with the QX9770.

Oops, had a brain fart. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Read from the bottom up.
I been having problems getting my ram to run at rated speeds.
I cant get a straight answer.
Help me out did i miss something.
Thanks

hank,
For one the fsb of the cpu is quad pumped so there is no 1:1 since it does off the SDR of the fsb. there for jdec spec doesnt matter, since your fsb is actually 333mhz,not 1333mhz as far a ram matters. 333mhz is then multiplied to give the ram speed, if this was DDR2. It would be like this 1:1@333x2=DDR2667. the same kind of rule applies here as well for DDR3 but they use higher ratios and oddly enough no 1:1.

to make matters worse i dont where that person is getting specs from
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Product...oard&ProductID=3015&ProductName=GA-EP45T-UD3P
as the spec page states
Gigabyte said:
Memory
1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR3 2200+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
further up on that same page it says
Gigabyte said:
Natively support dual channel DDR3 2200+ for remarkable system performance
that means it does support higher then DDR3-1333 ram... however that doesnt mean it will do DDR3-1600 speed when the cpu is at stock fsb. what i gather is that for 1600 you need to oc, which is something they said they dont support. i guess the question is at stock cpu fsb can you try to oc the DDR3-1333 to the DDR3-2200+ as they say it should have a ratio for it natively.

*note*
i skipped over some other posts cause well he wanted feedback on his chat.

It's all deceptive marketing, there are only so many FSB:RAM ratios the chipset can run. In order to reach those advertised speeds, you almost always have to overclock your FSB.

It's all deceptive marketing, there are only so many FSB:RAM ratios the chipset can run. In order to reach those advertised speeds, you almost always have to overclock your FSB.

i guess someone didnt tell that to the NV EE's. that added unlinked mode for ram speed in the NV600 and onwards..

hank,
For one the fsb of the cpu is quad pumped so there is no 1:1 since it does off the SDR of the fsb. there for jdec spec doesnt matter, since your fsb is actually 333mhz,not 1333mhz as far a ram matters. 333mhz is then multiplied to give the ram speed, if this was DDR2. It would be like this 1:1@333x2=DDR2667. the same kind of rule applies here as well for DDR3 but they use higher ratios and oddly enough no 1:1.

to make matters worse i dont where that person is getting specs from
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Product...oard&ProductID=3015&ProductName=GA-EP45T-UD3P
as the spec page states

further up on that same page it says

that means it does support higher then DDR3-1333 ram... however that doesnt mean it will do DDR3-1600 speed when the cpu is at stock fsb. what i gather is that for 1600 you need to oc, which is something they said they dont support. i guess the question is at stock cpu fsb can you try to oc the DDR3-1333 to the DDR3-2200+ as they say it should have a ratio for it natively.

*note*
i skipped over some other posts cause well he wanted feedback on his chat.

I got some different ram Gskill. It has Micron D9GTR IC's in em. Rated at 1600 7-7-7-18 @1.9V. Now I have it running at that speed 1:2 with a voltage of 1.97 or so (800MHZ). I have found this board needs a little more voltage to get things to Over clock but runs cooler.

I just check the ram sheet again and it looks like they may of updated it a little. I know its not supported how ever both sets of DDR3 that I have have work in other Gigabyte mobos.

Its a total sales pitch. And I think the bios on this mobo sucks. Needs good updates then it will run better then its DDR2 sister.

It kills me how I cant really get a good answer from these guys. Grated i'm know im not talking to the person who engineered the mobo but come on.

Crappy,

My GA-X48T ran that RAM at 1800MHz 7-7-7-18 2T with the stock voltage of 1.9v.

If I went to cas8 it would run 1900MHz at 1.95 and 2000MHz at 2.1v

BIOS, chipset or board. Dunno, but my GA-EP45T Extreme gave the same great results with that RAM so I'd lean towards the BIOS or the board.

Back