• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Overclocking basics - Asus p5kpl-cm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimingle10

Recently upgraded to this motherboard and am slightly confused by the bios' "Jumper free configuration"

I can choose the preset overclock profiles...5/10/15/20/30% etc but those dont change my vcore. PC Probe says im running 1.18V, obviously I have room for increase there but im not sure which option changes the vcore? My guess is the "1.25 OVER VOLTAGE" which is currently set to auto, but id rather find out for sure.

Current Rig

Q9400 2.66 @ 3.29ghz 410fsb
Asus P5KPL-CM
4 GB Kingston 800mhz DDR2
Msi GeForce 9400 512mb

Thanks - Jim

See if there's some sort of Advanced bios configuration. Then make sure you switch to manual settings.

But it sounds like you've got one of those cheapo Asus boards that don't let you do anything through the bios. That's when things get a little tricky...

yea it prolly is but there is a manual setting, its just not clear to me what each function does. On my last mobo, everything was labeled exactly what it is, vcore, fsb, multiplier etc. all I can find on this one is FSB

yea it prolly is but there is a manual setting, its just not clear to me what each function does. On my last mobo, everything was labeled exactly what it is, vcore, fsb, multiplier etc. all I can find on this one is FSB

Well the first thing you would have to do is switch from auto to manual mode. Then the advanced features usually open up. A screen shot of your Bios would help.

Also, if it's not called "vCore" then it might be called "CPU voltage."

yea i realize cpu voltage and vcore are the same lol i do swich to manual mode but these are my options

CPU Frequency XXX - obviously I change my FSB here

DRAM Frequency - AUTO/667/800/1000/1110mhz

1.8V Dual Over Voltage - AUTO/1.8V/2.00V/2.25V/

1.5V Over Voltage - AUTO/1.5V/1.6V

VTT_CPU Over Voltage - AUTO/1.2V/1.3V

1.25V Over Voltage - AUTO/1.25V/1.4V

those are my options, im assuming VTT_CPU is my cpu voltage, but i wasnt sure what the 1.25V was for either..

found this in another thread, again people are guessing at the crappy bios lol

04-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Ok I got the ASUS P5KPL-CM installed last night and for the life of me I could not get it stable at 1600FSB as is advertised on the front of the box. Now I might try disabling the on board video and using a PCI-E vid card. The thing that I noticed most odd about this mobo is the craptastic bios... and the fact that no updates exist for the bios. It is stable at about 3.1Ghz atm, while not bad an additional 500mhz is nothing to sneeze at!

So onward to more experimenting. The voltage setting are non existent and have really weird names like:

1. 1.8v Dual over voltage with options of Auto 1.8v 2.0v adn 2.25v (I'm guessing DDR2 voltage?)
2. 1.5v over voltage options of Auto 1.5v and 1.6v (I'm guessing PCI-E voltage?)
3. VTT_CPU Over Voltage option of Auto 1.2 and 1.3v (I'm guessing CPU Core Voltage?)
4. 1.25v Over Voltage options of Auto 1.25v 1.4v (I'm guessing NB voltage?)

So I'm thinking max 3 and 4 and hope for the best? I know my mem is good at 1.8v for option #1 so I should just select it and #2 it doesn't matter currently not running any pci-e.

I'll let you know if I have any success. The limitation on the overclocking of the CPU is concerning!

Yeah nothing I am going to go ***** at ASUS there is no way their mobo is going to hit 1600FSB... I get it to 340 which is 1360 FSB.

Hmm ah well time to see what they say.

http://www.hardfolding.com/ftag1.php/mem/590130/231/1.png (http://www.hardfolding.com?go=38&tnum=33&id=590130)

bro can you tell me what settings to made to reach the q9400 @3.5Ghz.

I have the similler board and processor with XMS2 2GB 800Mhz.

Currently I am running the processor at 3.0Ghz by setting the fsb to 376 but it also increased my memory to 850Mhz which I am unsure is safe for XMS2.

This thread may help me finally. My Video Card overclock has been becoming unstable unlike before. I'll adjust the 1.5V Over volt to increase video card stability with the crazy high pci express frequency increase. I'm currently running a Q8200 @ 2.88Ghz w/ 411Mhz FSB which is as high as it'll detect the SATA hard drives. It will boot at as high as 430Mhz. My Northbridth bus speed is at 1645Mhz. Set ur 1066 memory to 800 to handle the overclock and rock on. I've tried this on 800 ram at the 667 and it works just as well. Geforce 9600gt can't handle the pci express frequency like the gtx260 can. I've heard the P5QL-CM seems to be a better overclocker with more options.

Back