• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GB in XPS 1530

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There aren't that many apps that can use that much ram. You might notice a difference if you do a lot of video editing, but even with gaming I don't think you would notice a difference.

Yea, for the money that you would pay to get a 2x4gb kit of ram I would say it's definitely not worth it unless you are doing some serious video editing or graphics rendering. In that case, if you're willing to drop hundreds of dollars on laptop memory you might as well sell the laptop and put it all toward a more powerful desktop.

I have 8gig (8192 MB - 2x4096 800mhz DDR2 Dual Channel) in my XPS 1530 and get a massive improvement from it imho, I run Linux on my laptop and as such I run the entire 64bit OS in RAM, I also have a 80gb Intel X-25M SSD which im fitting this weekend which should help drive performance.
I have the 2.5 gig core 2 duo with 6meg cache, Geforce Go 8600M GT, 9 Cell 85WHr Li-ion

Last edited:
8GB would run $400, for that price you're better off selling your current laptop, and taking that money + the $400 and buying a better one.

8GB would run $400, for that price you're better off selling your current laptop, and taking that money + the $400 and buying a better one.

The XPS 1530 imho have decent screens with good resolution and is available with up to 8gb of memory which many laptops are not in Europe.
I consider a 2.5ghz core 2 duo with 6meg cache, 8gigs of memory, 9 cell li-on battery and a blue ray drive along with a 500gig SATA Hard Disk (which is being replaced this weekend) to be a reasonable specification for a laptop, what would I upgrade to for reasonable money that beats what I have that performs better, I do not play games, I require a 64bit OS and long battery life... what would you suggest suited me better as a product?

My requirements are a laptop which has reasonable Linux support, as Dell sell Ubuntu the laptops have great driver support even ones not sold with Ubuntu on them, I have the finger print reader working, the webcam, remote, HDMI, and quick keys

I wanted loads of RAM as running the entire OS in it provides great performance everywhere and I personally would take this any day over a faster processor or graphics card.

Im curious when you say better, what products are we talking about here as when I looked in the budget the XPS 1530 stood out well for the spec and the price, im a dell hater and got it based simply on the price and I must say the quality impresses me, its a pretty good bit of kit imho

Here's the Windows screeny for you (its still on the drive for warranty reasons)

screenbfw.jpg

Last edited:
When you say you want long battery life, what does that entail? To me long battery life would be 4+ hours, in which case you should have gone with an ultralight Latitude (D430) or a netbook. However if you're looking for sheer power there are a load of options out there including laptops with mobile quads. Basically if you sell what you have now, and add $400 to it, you can get ether a really nice lightweight, long battery life machine, or a heavy hitting mobile desktop (which I don't think is what you're looking for). However if you really are looking for something middle of the road, the M1530 is great but wasting $400 for another 4GB of RAM is :screwy:

In my opinion if I'm going to spend that much on getting a new laptop I'm better off getting a desktop. When it gets that expensive to upgrade a laptop it's just not worth it anymore. There is so much that I could get for $400 for a desktop that would make a whole lot more sense than upgrading the RAM in my laptop. For what I do 4gb of ram is plenty. I could probably get by fine with only 3gb.

my 2 cents of the situation is that how much ram you need for your system is usually correlated directly to how much processing power is in it. both my laptop and desktop do just fine with 2GB of ram each.

the M1530 is great but wasting $400 for another 4GB of RAM is :screwy:

I totally agree paying that much for RAM is not cost effective, which is why I did not. :D The spec of my XPS 1530 if you do the exchange rate came in shipped to my door at a touch over $700 all in and I was not able to find much which came close spec wise for the money.
I get reasonable discounts on Dell products imho :D this is why my laptop has 8gig and my non-portables all have 16gig

Last edited:
warranty reasons:confused::confused:

Yes Dell UK will not honour the systems warranty if the OS is changed, i've clarified this and although they are obliged by UK law to warenty the hardware they will not inspect the system unless it is running the OS it was supplied with.
I simply want to avoid having to argue or fight to get the laptop repaired, as such it currently dual boots
Its not a problem anyway, the complete drive is coming out this weekend for a better performing Intel SSD which is sitting on my desk.

Yes Dell UK will not honour the systems warranty if the OS is changed, i've clarified this and although they are obliged by UK law to warenty the hardware they will not inspect the system unless it is running the OS it was supplied with.
I simply want to avoid having to argue or fight to get the laptop repaired, as such it currently dual boots
Its not a problem anyway, the complete drive is coming out this weekend for a better performing Intel SSD which is sitting on my desk.

ya im thinking to get that drive too... but just not sure if it will be worth it.. I have debian install in it and i use it mainly for school work.. Have a 7200rpm on it now..

ya im thinking to get that drive too... but just not sure if it will be worth it.. I have debian install in it and i use it mainly for school work.. Have a 7200rpm on it now..

Im not certain it will be worth it, I will let you know over the weekend my thoughts on it

Back