• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg; Inept but they mean well!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

So I got a power supply from newegg today. PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750. I now fully understand why these things have such a bad rep: QC is terrible. The one I recieved was missing entirely one of the 24 pin leads. I want to say one of the black wires. Also, the PSU arrived in terrible shape from obvious shipping abuse.

The rep offered to send me another one at no cost to me, and advised I could just chuck the old one. Knowing full well the price of one of these (140$ on newegg right now), I was a little worried they didn't understand fully turns out they didn't. They were overnighting me another CNPS9700 that I had ordered... wtf...

The second rep suggested that he had gotten it right though. We'll have to see. i get my replacement friday.

Yikes, they must have been gotten so many RMAs that they dont' wanna bother with the garbage collection so they let you do it instead, I've never heard of them doing an rma without the returned item before and I would inspect your replacement closely, the problems aren't limited to that line of PSU nor those from newegg, seems the company in general is on it's way to the DO NOT BUY status

Yikes, they must have been gotten so many RMAs that they dont' wanna bother with the garbage collection so they let you do it instead, I've never heard of them doing an rma without the returned item before and I would inspect your replacement closely, the problems aren't limited to that line of PSU nor those from newegg, seems the company in general is on it's way to the DO NOT BUY status

I'm thinking it's my last PCPC. Looks like I should have just bought a corsair.

Same as their parent company OCZ then.

Seems that way. I guess I'm gonna have to switch to another company. Who else is good, Antec? And by good, I mean good enough to best or be similar in PSU quality, longevity, etc to the old PCPC.

coolermaster is getting better, the UCP line is really nice. you should check out the review wolf did of the UPC700.... dont forget silverstone as well for PSU's, the higher end ultra's are much better then the lower end lines.

coolermaster is getting better, the UCP line is really nice. you should check out the review wolf did of the UPC700.... dont forget silverstone as well for PSU's, the higher end ultra's are much better then the lower end lines.

I'll probably stick with the PCPC unit for now. If I can get one that works, it should be sufficient for my needs.

Are you sure that missing wire wasn't a white -5V? Those are removed on newer ATX versions. If I remember correctly. It's been about a year since I worked at my old job so I can't remember if that was the correct one, but it is normal to have a "missing" pin on the 24pin connector. At least on new ATX PSUs.

Last edited:
Ouch, I find it a bit shady that OCZ has been offering decent rebate on these PSUs the last few months, and then hearing that they don't even want the damaged ones back. I thought it was just a few isolated incidents, this worries me.

Mine is still going strong with steady voltages and I didn't notice any manufacturing defects. I might have thought twice about buying one if I had heard something like this.

Ah, okay then. I guess I just got a dead unit killed in shipping. I mean, I wish I had taken ap icture of it before popping it back into place... but it looked terribly shifted, the bottom was bowed down... like sombody had opened it up and taken a hammer to it.

Is it dead or not? In your OP I didn't think you had tested it.

Is it dead or not? In your OP I didn't think you had tested it.

Dead or not, it doesn't work when I plug it in. The new one, however, does. To me, this is teh definition of testing. Does it do what it needs to do? No. Send it back.

Glad I got my Silencer 750 before the OCZ buyout................

Dead or not, it doesn't work when I plug it in. The new one, however, does. To me, this is teh definition of testing. Does it do what it needs to do? No. Send it back.

Maybe you should just chill, because you never said that.

Maybe you should just chill, because you never said that.

In all honesty, you're right. It's entirely possible that somebody else on the internet is stupid enough to visually analyze a power supply and say it doesn't work. For the record: I didn't know it was missing a lead until after I unplugged everything and tried to determine what was wrong.

I know my post didn't allude to my actually testing it. Sorry. But I did. The new one works fine. And because I naturally assumed that otehrs would naturally assume that I plugged it in, I thought you meant by shorting out wires or doing some wierd trick to try and make it turn on... and that's out of the question... if it didn't turn on it's pointless.

Back