• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About 8 Pin 12V Rail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have just been giving the task to build a mid range system for a friend the budget £260 I bought the following

Foxxconn 945PL7AE 775 motherboard
INTEL E2180
Crucial 2GB PC6400 DDR2 Memory
Seagate 160GB SATS-II HDD
Sapphire HD3450 256mb PCI-E Card
Galaxy Balck Mid Tower ATX Casing
Hanson 19" TFT Widescreen monitor

Now I got all that for £258 the PSU that comes with the casing is 450w it has a 4 pin 12v rail on it but the board has a 8pin socket will it be safe to use that on this board with that CPU/Set-Up above.

I have googled and some forums posts have said the 8pin is to be used with extreme high end CPU's from INTEL.

That is not true. The 8 Pin power socket is a more stable connection, but it is not required. I have ran my Q6600 on my rampage with a 4 pin psu no problem, even though the board has a 8 pin connecter. Just read the manual and it will provide you with a image of the connector and what side of the 8 pin connector is required for a 4 pin PSU.

12v is 12v be it thru a 4 pin or an 8 pin connector.
8 pin connectors were originally designed for power supplies that were used for dual CPU servers. PC POWER & COOLING S610, for example. Kept the wiring harness cooler because the load was spread out abit more efficiently.
As long as you have a reliable compatible power supply, it doesn't make one bit of difference if the CPU wiring harmess connector is a 4 or an 8. Plug it in where the manual specifies.

12v is 12v be it thru a 4 pin or an 8 pin connector.
8 pin connectors were originally designed for power supplies that were used for dual CPU servers. PC POWER & COOLING S610, for example. Kept the wiring harness cooler because the load was spread out abit more efficiently.
As long as you have a reliable compatible power supply, it doesn't make one bit of difference if the CPU wiring harmess connector is a 4 or an 8. Plug it in where the manual specifies.

Excellent thank you for that just wanted to clear things up about it.

Back