• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed new CPU and PC keeps freezing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp4zZ

I installed a new CPU (e8400) into my EVGA 680i motherboard today and the computer won't boot right. After it loads windows and shows my desktop it freezes. I tried flashing my BIOS and it still doesnt work. Anyone have any ideas? I'm still a little new to this :/

I installed a new CPU (e8400) into my EVGA 680i motherboard today and the computer won't boot right. After it loads windows and shows my desktop it freezes. I tried flashing my BIOS and it still doesnt work. Anyone have any ideas? I'm still a little new to this :/

Is this a computer you built, or one provided by a company?

I bought it off a friend, but it was built by Alienware. I read somewhere that they may have changed the bios settings to their own. Can that be the problem?

I bought it off a friend, but it was built by Alienware. I read somewhere that they may have changed the bios settings to their own. Can that be the problem?

Are you sure that the bios supports the processor? You might want to contact alienware and ask. Although it very well should. I wonder if the 680i was laid to rest prior to the e8400 release. Depending on your previous processor, it may have required an FSB the 680i can't handle. 333fsb is stock for an E8400. That's a lot for an nforce 780i in some cases...

after you flashed the bios and put the new cpu did you reset the cmos? as it sounds like something isnt setup right if it is freezing at the desktop.

Even if a board will support a certain model or speed of a CPU, you could still not be compatible. I have the DS3 by Gigabyte, and I needed to get a beta version bios to support me E5200. I thought the board was bad in it, but it posted and worked fine with another cpu.

I just tried rebooting in safe mode after the repair and its running pretty stable. should I still go ahead and try a complete install?

*I just tried booting it normally and its still freezing when it loads windows, but runs stable in safe mode, I think I'm going to go ahead and try a complete install*

Last edited:
ok, so I did the complete install and everything seems to working stable! It's updating all the drivers right now, so hopefully it's still working in a couple hours, but so far so good!

ok, so I did the complete install and everything seems to working stable! It's updating all the drivers right now, so hopefully it's still working in a couple hours, but so far so good!
There have been a few time were i just couldnt figure out why i was getting BSOD's and freezes and as a last resort id do a fresh install.And it has fixed my problems with that more than once.I think that once certain files get corrupted the only thing you can do is a fresh install.

Back