• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I smoked my motherboard - help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alex!

Hey,

I fried my motherboard but, I don't understand what I did wrong. Can someone advise?

I plugged an ATX12V CPU 4-Pin connector into an 8 pin socket and when I switched the power on, the 8-pin socket had smoke coming out of it. After the smoke cleared I examined the motherboard but, did not see any visible burn marks.

It is possible that the motherboard is defective but, can someone look over the specifications for my PSU and see if it is compatible with the motherboard I have?

So, my two questions are:

1. Is my motherboard compatible with my PSU?
  2. What do I need to check before connecting PSU to motherboard in order not to fry my next motherboard?

Again, these are links to my motherboard and PSU:

My motherboard
And this is my PSU:
My PSU

Thank you,

--Alex

It looks as though the two are compatible, and I'm sure you're aware that the 4-pin ATX12V CPU connector is keyed to fit in the corresponding MB connector only one way, so it should fit into place without any resistance. And the cap that covers the unused 4 pins of the 8-pin MB connector should only be removed if using an 8-pin ATX 12V power connector. In other words the exposed 4 pins of the 8-pin should be used for the 4-pin ATX connector from the PSU.

To expand on what redduc wrote - it would appear you did not have the P-4 pin seated fully in the 8-pin socket or it was connected to the wrong pins. It's probably the former. Pushing a 4-pin connector into the wrong side of the 8-pin socket requires some effort.

unless it was reveresed in which case it would have fit with no force needed. ask how i know... :(

Hey,

I fried my motherboard but, I don't understand what I did wrong. Can someone advise?

I plugged an ATX12V CPU 4-Pin connector into an 8 pin socket and when I switched the power on, the 8-pin socket had smoke coming out of it. After the smoke cleared I examined the motherboard but, did not see any visible burn marks.

It is possible that the motherboard is defective but, can someone look over the specifications for my PSU and see if it is compatible with the motherboard I have?

So, my two questions are:

1. Is my motherboard compatible with my PSU?
  2. What do I need to check before connecting PSU to motherboard in order not to fry my next motherboard?

Again, these are links to my motherboard and PSU:

My motherboard
And this is my PSU:
My PSU

Thank you,

--Alex
Lord.
Have mercy.
You plugged THAT into a perfectly good motherboard?
Serves you right.
One of these days you guys will learn that you don't cut corners with power supplies.

Welcome to the forums chuck4456.
Play nice now...
Your post doesn't do anything to help and only adds more pain to the OP's situation.

audioaficionado - OCForums Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
OP that psu isnt a very good brand, could have been bad connections in the P4 connector. we always suggest spending more on the psu for a good one that will last a long time. why take the chance on a $10 psu when you spent $300-$400 on the rest of it? consider any psu from this list

You plugged THAT into a perfectly good motherboard?
Serves you right.
One of these days you guys will learn that you don't cut corners with power supplies.
The PSU in question may not be top of the line, but it is certainly adequate for the task in this case. To the writer of the quotation above: relax, Dude, and don't paint with such a broad brush.

Hi All,

After reading your replies it appears that my HIPER PSU IS compatible with this Intel motherboard

I appreciate all your replies;

redduc900 and Leonardo,

The 4-pin connector did fit into the 8-pin socket without any resistance, it simply snapped into place. I did not touch the plastic cap that covers unused 4 of the 8 pins. I am positive that I connected the 4-pin connector on the correct side of the 8 pin socket. The 8-pin socket has a plastic lip that 4-pin connector slides over and locks. The unused side of the 8-pin socket is covered by a plastic cap.

Evilsizer,

I am not sure what you mean by "it was reveresed", can you clarify? but, I am 99.9% positive that I connected the 4-pin CPU rail the correct way.

chuck4456,

I realize that my PSU is not the best out there but, can you recommend a better PSU? I need at least 600 watt PSU.

I am going to have to guess that the motherboard was already damaged.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard with 1333MHz FSB that supports Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz CPU?

Thank you,

--Alex

Can anyone recommend a motherboard with 1333MHz FSB that supports Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz CPU?
What's the budget? Brand preferences? Special needs?

I would try to figure out what went wrong first, though... before frying another motherboard.

Back